Irreversible and reversible blockade of IMR32 calcium channel currents by synthetic MVIIA and iodinated MVIIC ω-conopeptides
- James A. Fox
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The actions of two ω-conopeptides on high-voltage-activated calcium channel currents in differentiated human neuroblastoma IMR32 cells were investigated. Similar to the previously reported action of ω-conopeptide GVIA, ω-conopeptide MVIIA irreversibly blocks IMR32 HVA calcium channel currents at low concentrations. Unlike GVIA action, however, novel w-conopeptide SNX-260 (iodinated MVIIC) reversibly blocks these currents, also at low concentrations, with an IC50 near 50 nM. Different ω-conopeptides may be potent blockers of HVA calcium channel currents yet act either reversibly or irreversibly in a single cell.
- Carbone E, Sher E, and Clementi F (1990) Ca currents in human neuroblastoma IMR-32 cells: kinetics, permeability and pharmacology. Pflugers Arch 416: 170–179.
- Hillyard D, Monje V, Mintz I, Bean B, Nadasdi L, Ramachandran J, Miljanich G, Azimi-Zoonooz A, McIntosh J, Cruz L, Imperial J, Olivera B (1992) A new conus peptide ligand for mammalian presynaptic Ca2+ channels. Neuron 9:69–77.
- Mintz I, Venema V, Swiderek K, Lee T, Bean B and Adams M (1992) P-type calcium channels blocked by the spider toxin ω-Aga-IVA. Nature 355: 827–829.
- Olivera B, Cruz L, de Santos V, LeCheminant G, Griffin D, Zeikus R, McIntosh J, Galyean R, Varga J, Gray W, and Rivier J (1987) Neuronal Calcium Channel Antagonists. Discrimination between Calcium Channel Subtypes using ω-Conotoxin from Conus magus Venom. Biochemistry 26:2086–2090.
- Sather W, Tanabe T, Zhang J, Mori Y, Adams M, and Tsien R (1993) Distinctive Biophysical and Pharmacological Properties of Class A (BI) Calcium Channel α 1, Subunits. Neuron 11:291–303.
- Tsien R, Lipscombe D, Madison D, Bley K, and Fox A (1988) Multiple types of neuronal calcium channels and their selective modulation. Trends Neurosci 11: 431–438.
- Tumilowicz J, Nichols W, Cholon J, Greene A (1970) Definition of a Continuous Human Cell Line Derived from Neuroblastoma. Cancer Research 30: 2110–2118.
- Wheeler D, Randall A, and Tsien R (1994) Roles of N-Type and Q-Type Ca2+ Channels in Supporting Hippocampal Synaptic Transmission. Science 264: 107–111.
- Irreversible and reversible blockade of IMR32 calcium channel currents by synthetic MVIIA and iodinated MVIIC ω-conopeptides
Volume 429, Issue 6 , pp 873-875
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Calcium Channel
- Industry Sectors
- James A. Fox (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Axon Instruments Inc., 1101 Chess Drive, 94404, Foster City, CA, USA