Belief contraction without recovery
- Sven Ove Hansson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The postulate of recovery is commonly regarded to be the intuitively least compelling of the six basic Gärdenfors postulates for belief contraction. We replace recovery by the seemingly much weaker postulate of core-retainment, which ensures that if x is excluded from K when p is contracted, then x plays some role for the fact that K implies p. Surprisingly enough, core-retainment together with four of the other Gärdenfors postulates implies recovery for logically closed belief sets. Reasonable contraction operators without recovery do not seem to be possible for such sets. Instead, however, they can be obtained for non-closed belief bases. Some results on partial meet contractions on belief bases are given, including an axiomatic characterization and a non-vacuous extension of the AGM closure condition.
- C. E. Alchourrón, P. Gärdenfors and D. Makinson. On the logic of theory change: Partial meet functions for contraction and revision, Journal of Symbolic Logic 50 (1985), pp. 510–530.
- C. E. Alchourrón and D. Makinson, On the logic of theory change: Safe contraction, Studia Logica 44 (1985), pp. 405–422.
- M. Dalal, Investigations into a theory of knowledge base revision: Preliminary Report, Proceedings of the Seventh National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (1988), pp. 475–479.
- A. Fuhrmann, Theory contraction through base contraction, Journal of Philosophical Logic 20 (1991), pp. 175–203.
- P. Gärdenfors, Epistemic importance and minimal changes of belief, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 62 (1984), pp. 136–157.
- P. Gärdenfors, Knowledge in Flux. Modeling the Dynamics of Epistemic States, MIT Press, Cambridge 1988.
- S. O. Hansson, New operators for theory change, Theoria 50 (1989), pp. 114–132.
- S. O. Hansoon, A dyadic representation of belief,forthcoming in Peter Gärdenfors, Belief Revision, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991.
- S. O. Hansson, In defense of base contraction, Synthese (1991), in print.
- D. Makinson, On the status of the postulate of recovery in the logic of theory change, Journal of Philosophical Logic 16 (1987), pp. 383–394.
- R. Niederée, Multiple contraction. A further case against Gärdenfors' Principle of recovery, in A.Fuhrmann and M. Morreau (eds.), The Logic of Theory Change, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 465, 1991, pp. 322–334.
- Belief contraction without recovery
Volume 50, Issue 2 , pp 251-260
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Sven Ove Hansson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Uppsala University, Villavägen 5, S-752 36, Uppsala, Sweden