Cloning and characterization of human phosphatase inhibitor-2 (IPP-2) sequences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
cDNA clones similar to rabbit muscle phosphatase inhibitor-2 (IPP-2) were isolated from human libraries. On Northern blots two transcripts of ∼2kbp and ∼4kbp were detected in all tissues tested. Analysis of cDNA sequences showed that the longer transcripts were similar to the shorter clones but contained extended 3′ ends. The human nucleotide sequence was highly homologous (94% identity) to the rabbit IPP-2 sequence and encoded a peptide of 205 amino acids. IPP-2 sequences were highly conserved throughout vertebrates. Southern hybridization results were consistent with the existence of a family of related IPP-2 sequences in the human genome. Most of these are likely to be pseudogenes, since all of the cDNA clones examined could have originated from a single gene. By in situ hybridization IPP-2 sequences were mapped to several different human chromosomes. We sequenced one gene located in the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) on Chromosome (Chr) 6 that contained the entire coding region of IPP-2.
- Aitken, A., Bilham, T., Cohen, P. (1982). Complete primary structure of protein phosphatase inhibitor-1 from rabbit skeletal muscle. Eur. J. Biochem. 126, 235–246.
- Alessi, M.R., Street, A.J., Cohen, P.T.W. (1993). Inhibitor protein phosphatase-1 into a conformation with the specificity and regulatory properties of the native enzyme. Eur. J. Biochem. 213, 1055–1066.
- Axton, J.M., Dombradi, V., Cohen, P.T.W., Glover, D.M. (1990). One of the protein phosphatase-1 isoenzymes in Drosophila is essential for mitosis. Cell 63, 33–46.
- Ballou, L.M., Fischer, E.H. (1986). In The Enzymes, P.D. Boyer, E.G. Krebs, eds. vol. XVII, (Orlando: Academic Press), pp 312–361.
- Beck, S., Kelly, A., Khurshid, F., Alderton, R.P., Trowsdale, J. (1992). DNA sequence analysis of 66 kb of the human MHC class II region encoding a cluster of gene for antigen processing. J. Mol. Biol. 228, 433–441.
- Campbell, R.D., Trowsdale, J. (1993). Map of the human MHC. Immunol. Today 14, 349–352.
- Cohen, P., Cohen, P.T.W. (1989) Protein phosphatases come of age. J. Biol. Chem. 264, 21435–21438.
- Cohen, P., Rylatt, D.B., Nimmo, G.A. (1977). The hormonal control of glycogen metabolism: the amino acid sequence at the phosphorylation site of protein phosphatase inhibitor-1. FEBS Lett. 76, 182–186.
- Dent, P., Lavoinne, A., Nakielny, S., Caudwell, F.B., Watt, P., Cohen, P. (1990). The molecular mechanism by which insulin stimulates glycogen synthesis in mammalian skeletal muscle. Nature 348, 302–308.
- DePaoli-Roach, A.A. (1984). Synergistic phosphorylation and activation of ATP-Mg dependent phosphoprotein phosphatase by TA/65K-3 and casein kinase II (PC0.7)*. J. Biol. Chem. 259, 12144–12152.
- Dombradi, V., Axton, J.M., Barker, H.M., Cohen, P.T.W. (1990). Protein phosphatase 1 activity in Drosophila mutants with abnormalities in mitosis and chromosome condensation. FEBS Lett. 275, 39–43.
- Feinberg, A.P., Vogelstein, B. (1984). Addendum: A technique for radiolabelling DNA restriction endonucleases fragments to high specificity activity. Anal. Biochem. 137, 266–267.
- Hé, M., Liu, H., Wang, Y., Austen, B. (1992). Optimized centrifugation for rapid elution of DNA agarose gels. Gene Anal. Tech. 9, 31–33.
- Holmes, C.F.B., Campbell, D.G., Caudwell, F.B., Aitken, A., Cohen, P. (1986a). The protein phosphatases involved in cellular regulation. Eur. J. Biochem. 155, 173–182.
- Holmes, C.F.B., Kuret, J., Chisholm, A.A.K., Cohen, P. (1986b). Identification of the sites on rabbit skeletal muscle protein phosphatase inhibitor-2 phosphorylated by casein kinase II. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 870, 408–416.
- Holmes, C.F.B., Tonks, N.K., Major, H., Cohen, P. (1987). Analysis of the in vivo phosphorylation state of protein phosphatase inhibitor-2 from rabbit skeletal muscle by fast-atom bombardment mass spectroscopy. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 929, 208–219.
- Huang, F.L., Glinsmann, W.H. (1976) Separation and characterization of two phosphorylase phosphatase inhibitors from rabbit skeletal muscle. Eur. J. Biochem. 70, 419–426.
- Kariya, Y., Kato, K., Hayashizaki, Y., Himeno, S., Tarui, S., Kenichi, M. (1987). Revision of consensus sequence of human Alu repeats—a review. Gene 53, 1–10.
- Kelly, A.P., Monaco, J.J., Cho, S., Trowsdale, J. (1991a). A new human HLA classII-related locus, DM. Nature 353, 571–573.
- Kelly, A, Powis, S.H., Glynne, R., Radley, E., Beck, S., Trowsdale, J. (1991b). Second proteasome-related in the human class II region. Nature 353, 667–668.
- MacDougall, L.K., Jones, L.R., Cohen, P. (1991). Identification of the major protein phosphatases in mammalian cardiac muscle which dephosphorylate phospholamban. Eur. J. Biochem. 196, 725–734.
- Maniatis, T., Fritsch, E.F., Sambrook, J. (1982). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press).
- Mohun, T.J., Garrett, N., Taylor, M.V. (1989). Temporal and tissue-specific expression of the proto-oncogene c-fos during development in Xenopus laevis. Development 107, 835–846.
- Molders, H., Jenuwein, T., Adamkiewicz, J., Müller, R. (1987). Isolation and structural analysis of a biologically active chicken c-fos cDNA: identification of evolutionary conserved domains in fos protein. Oncogene 1, 377–385.
- Paulais, M., Turner, R.J. (1992). Activation of the Na+−K+−2Cl- cotransporter in rat parotid acinar cells by aluminium fluoride and phosphatase inhibitors. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 21558–21563.
- Pondaven, P., Cohen, P. (1987). Identification of protein phosphatases-1 and 2A and inhibitor-2 in oocytes of the starfish Asterias rubens and Marthasterias glacialis. Eur. J. Biochem. 167, 135–140.
- Orgad, S., Dudai, Y., Cohen, P. (1987). The protein phosphatases of Drosophila melanogaster and their inhibitors. Eur. J. Biochem. 164, 31–38.
- Ragoussis, J., Monaco, A., Mockridge, I., Kendall, E., Campbell, R.D., and Trowsdale, J. (1991). Cloning of the HLA class II region in yeast artificial chromosomes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 3753–3756.
- Sanger, F., Nicklen, S., Coulson, A.R. (1977). DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 74, 5463–5467.
- Sanséau, P., Jackson, A., Senger, G., Kelly, A., Francis, F., Sheer, D., Trousdale, J. (1994). Cloning of the region between HLA-DMB and LMP2 in the human MHC. Hum. Immunol., in press.
- Seed, B. (1987). An LFA-3 cDNA encodes a phospholipid-linked membrane protein homologous to its receptor CD2. Nature 329, 840–842.
- Senger, G., Ragoussis, J., Trowsdale, J., Sheer, D. (1993). Fine mapping of the MHC class II region within 6p21 and evaluation of probe ordering using interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 64, 49–53.
- Sung-sang, J., Walters, J.A., Fu, S.M. (1992). Stimulation of tumor necrosis factor α production in human monocytes by inhibitors of protein phosphatase 1 and 2A. J. Exp. Med. 176, 897–901.
- Van Beveren, C., Van Straaten, F., Curran, T., Müller, R., Verma, I.M., (1983). Analysis of FBJ-MuSV provirus and c-fos (mouse) gene reveals that viral and cellular fos gene products have different carboxy termini. Cell 32, 1241–1255.
- Van Straaten, F., Müller, R., Curran, T., Van Beveren, C., Verma, I.M. (1983). Complete nucleotide sequence of human c-onc gene: deduced amino acid sequence of the human c-fos protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80, 3183–3187.
- Vogt, P.K., Bos, T.J., Doolittle, R.F., (1987). Homology between the DNA-binding domain of the GCN4 regulatory protein of yeast and the carboxy-terminal region of a protein coded by the oncogene jun. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84, 3316–3319.
- Zerial, M., Toschi, L., Ryseck, R.P., Schuermann, M., Müller, R., Bravo, R. (1989). The product of a novel growth factor activated gene, fosB, interacts with JUN proteins enhancing their DNA binding activity. EMBO J 8, 805–813.
- Zhang, Z., Bai, G., Lee, E.Y.C. (1992). PCR cloning of the cDNA of rabbit skeletal muscle protein phosphatase inhibitor-2. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 186, 1168–1170.
- Cloning and characterization of human phosphatase inhibitor-2 (IPP-2) sequences
Volume 5, Issue 8 , pp 490-496
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Human Immunogenetics, ICRF, 44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, WC2A 3PX, London, UK
- 3. DNA Sequencing Laboratory, ICRF, 44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, WC2A 3PX, London, UK
- 4. Human Cytogenetics Laboratory, ICRF, 44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, WC2A 3PX, London, UK