Drug resistance in Salmonella strains isolated from domestic wastewater before and after treatment in stabilization ponds in an arid region (Marrakech, Morocco)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Some 118 Salmonella strains isolated before and after treatment in stabilization ponds were tested for antimicrobial resistance. In the treatment plant, which decreases the abundance of Salmonella by 99%, a significantly lower level of antibiotic resistance (P<0.01) was identified at the system's inflow point (19%) than at its outflow (29%). The serotypes most frequently identified as having multiple antibiotic resistance were Salmonella paratyphi B and S. typhimurium. High tetracycline resistance was observed at all sampling points, followed by resistance to ampicillin and streptomycin. Antibiotic resistance can be transferred from Salmonella to other members of the Enterobacteriaceae family, such as Escherichia coli K12; transfer frequencies in nutrient broth and filtered sewage water were 4.5×10-4 and 7×10-7, respectively.
- AltherrM.R. & KasweckK.L. 1982 In situ studies with membrane diffusion chambers of antibiotic resistance transfer to Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 44, 838–843.
- BaleuxB., AlibouJ., TroussellierM. & GotP. 1988 Utilisation du bouillon sélénite F modifié pour dénombrer Salmonella dans les milieux aquatiques. Revue des Sciences de l'Eau 1, 401–408.
- BauerA.W., KirbyW.H.M., SherrisJ.C. & TuckM. 1966 Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 36, 493–496.
- BellJ.B., ElliottG.E. & SmithD.W. 1983 Influence of sewage treatment and urbanization on selection of multiple resistance in fecal coliform populations. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 46, 227–232.
- BellJ.B., MaccraeW.R. & ElliottG.E. 1980 Incidence of R factors in coliform, fecal coliform, and Salmonella populations of the Red River in Canada. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 40, 486–491.
- BoussaidA., BaleuxB., HassaniL. & LesneJ. 1991 Aeromonas species in stabilization ponds in the arid region of Marrakesh, Morocco, and relation to fecal-pollution and climatic factors. Microbial Ecology 21, 11–20.
- BreittmayerV.A. & GauthierM.J. 1990 Influence of glycine betaine on the transfer of plasmid RP4 between Escherichia coli strains in marine sediments. Letters in Applied Bacteriology 10, 65–68.
- ChughT.D. & SuheirA. 1983 Drug resistance among Salmonella in Kuwait. Tropical Geography Medicine 35, 37–41.
- ColwellR.R., BraytonP.R., GrimesD.J., RozakD.B., HuqS.A. & PalmerL.M. 1985 Viable but non cultivable Vibrio cholerae and related pathogens in the environment: implications for release of genetically engineered microorganisms. Biotechnology 3, 817–820.
- GoyalS.M., GerbaC.P. & MelnickJ.L. 1979 Transferable drug resistance in bacteria in coastal canal water and sediment. Water Research 13, 349–356.
- GrabowW.O.K., MiddendorfI.G. & ProzeskyO.W. 1973 Survival in maturation ponds of coliform bacteria with transferable drug resistance. Water Research 7, 1589–1597.
- HassaniL., ImzilnB. & GauthierM.J. 1992 Antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli from wastewater before and after treatment in stabilization ponds in the arid region of Marrakesh, Morocco. Letters in Applied Microbiology 15, 228–231.
- MachP.A. & GrimesD.J. 1982 R-plasmid transfer in a wastewater treatment plant. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 44, 1395–1403.
- MorinigoM.A., CornaxR., CastroD., Jimenez-NotaroM., RomeroP. & BorregoJ.J. 1990 Antibiotic resistance of Salmonella strains isolated from natural polluted waters. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 68, 297–302.
- NiemiM., SibakovM. & NiemalaS. 1983 Antibiotic resistance among different species of fecal coliforms isolated from water samples. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 45, 79–83.
- Drug resistance in Salmonella strains isolated from domestic wastewater before and after treatment in stabilization ponds in an arid region (Marrakech, Morocco)
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 287-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- stabilization ponds
- Industry Sectors