Does N 1 or N 2 control the onset of edge fracture?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The “edge fracture” instability which occurs at the air/liquid interface in a cone-and-plate rheometer is studied for six elastic polymer solutions. Theoretical models for the onset of edge fracture are evaluated in light of the experimental data. The data are well-described by the Tanner-Keentok model, which predicts that fracture will occur whenever a critical value of the second normal stress difference is exceeded in magnitude.
- Adams N, Lodge AS (1964) Rheological Properties of Concentrated Polymer Solutions II. A Cone-and-Plate and Parallel-Plate Pressure Distribution Apparatus for Determining Normal Stress Differences in Steady Shear Flow. Phil Trans Royal Soc, London A256:149–184
- Baek SG Ph. D. (1991) Thesis, Novel Rheological Techniques Applied to Investigate Rheology of Liquid Crystal Polymers. University of Utah
- Bird RB, Armstrong RC, Hassager O (1987) Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, Fluid Mechanics, 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, Vol 1, Chapt 10
- Gaines GL Jr. (1972) Surface and Interfacial Tension of Polymer Liquids. Polym Eng Sci 12:1–11
- Hansen FK, Rodsrud G (1991) Surface Tension by Pendant Drop. J Colloid Interface Sci 141:1–9
- Hutton JF (1963) Fracture of Liquids in Shear. Nature 200:646–648
- Larson RG (1992) Instabilities in Viscoelastic Flows. Rheol Acta, submitted
- Lee CS, Magda JJ, Mays JW, DeVries KL (1992) Measurements of the Second Normal Stress Difference for Star Polymers with Highly Entangled Branches. Macromolecules (submitted)
- Lee CS, Magda JJ, Muller SJ, Larson RG: Second Normal Stress Difference of Polystyrene Boger Fluids (in preparation)
- Moldenaers P, Yanase H, Mewis J, Fuller GG, Lee CS, Magda JJ (1992) Flow-Induced Concentration Fluctuations in Polymer Solutions: Structure/Property Relationships. Rheol Acta, submitted
- Tanner RI, Keentok M (1983) Shear Fracture in Cone-Plate Rheometry. J Rheol27:47–57
- Does N 1 or N 2 control the onset of edge fracture?
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 306-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Edge fracture
- interfacial instability
- second normal stress difference
- cone-and-plate rheometer
- Industry Sectors