Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil around Mathura oil refinery, India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Six polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [naphthalene, anthracene, phenanthrene, pyrene, chrysene and benzo(a)-pyrene] were detected in soil receiving effluents from an oil refinery. Biodegradation studies revealed a time-dependent disappearance of these polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons when they were added to soil samples: naphthalene disappeared completely in 60 days, whereas phenanthrene, anthracene, pyrene, chrysene and benzo(a)pyrene decreased by 87%, 34%, 21%, 5% and 40%, respectively, in 120 days.
- Anon. 1983 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: evaluation of sources and effects. Washington DC: National Academy.
- Ashok, B.T., Saxena, S. (1995) Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons—a review. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 54: pp. 443-451
- Ashok, B.T., Saxena, S. & Musarrat, J. 1995 Isolation and characterization of four polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon degrading bacteria from soil near an oil refinery. Letters in Applied Microbiology in press.
- Bolman, T.L., Lesage, S., Fowlie, P.J.A., Webber, M.D. (1985) The Persistence of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Soil. Environmental Protection Service, Waste Water Technology Centre, Burlington, Ontario
- Bossert, I.D., Bartha, R. (1986) Structure-biodegradability relationships of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 37: pp. 490-495
- Groenewegen, D., Stolp, H. (1976) Microbial breakdown of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Zentralblatt für Bakteriologie, Parasitenkunde, Infectionskrankheiten und Hygiene, I. Abteilung Originale Reihe A 162: pp. 225-232
- Mahmood, S.K., Rao, P.R. (1993) Microbial abundance and degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 50: pp. 486-491
- Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil around Mathura oil refinery, India
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 691-692
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- Industry Sectors