Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil around Mathura oil refinery, India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Six polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [naphthalene, anthracene, phenanthrene, pyrene, chrysene and benzo(a)-pyrene] were detected in soil receiving effluents from an oil refinery. Biodegradation studies revealed a time-dependent disappearance of these polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons when they were added to soil samples: naphthalene disappeared completely in 60 days, whereas phenanthrene, anthracene, pyrene, chrysene and benzo(a)pyrene decreased by 87%, 34%, 21%, 5% and 40%, respectively, in 120 days.
- Anon. 1983 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: evaluation of sources and effects. Washington DC: National Academy.
- AshokB.T. & SaxenaS. 1995 Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons—a review. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 54, 443–451.
- Ashok, B.T., Saxena, S. & Musarrat, J. 1995 Isolation and characterization of four polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon degrading bacteria from soil near an oil refinery. Letters in Applied Microbiology in press.
- BolmanT.L., LesageS., FowlieP.J.A. & WebberM.D. 1985 The Persistence of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Soil. (PACE Report No. 85-2.) Burlington, Ontario: Environmental Protection Service, Waste Water Technology Centre.
- BossertI.D. & BarthaR. 1986 Structure-biodegradability relationships of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 37, 490–495.
- GroenewegenD. & StolpH. 1976 Microbial breakdown of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Zentralblatt für Bakteriologie, Parasitenkunde, Infectionskrankheiten und Hygiene, I. Abteilung Originale Reihe A 162, 225–232.
- MahmoodS.K. & RaoP.R. 1993 Microbial abundance and degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 50, 486–491.
- Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil around Mathura oil refinery, India
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 691-692
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- Industry Sectors