Fibre-matrix interfacial failure sequences in translaminar flexure of glass-epoxy composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A detailed fractographic analysis is reported for the fibre-matrix interfacial failure sequences in the translaminar flexure testing of glass-epoxy composites of two different resin formulations. The influence of curing conditions, loading rates and voids on the mechanical data obtained is discussed. The fracture mechanisms are explained on the basis of the shear couple concept.
- C. Zweben, W. S. Smith and M. W. Wardle, in “Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Fifth Conference)”, ASTM STP 674, edited by S. W. Tsai (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1979) p. 228.
- P. K. Mallick and L. J. Broutmann, J. Testing Eval. 5 (3) (1977) 190.
- K. Padmanabhan, S. Sashidhara and Kishore, Mater. Forum 15 (4) (1991) 354.
- B. Gershon and G. Marom, J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 1549.
- S. Fischer, G. Marom and F. R. Tuler, ibid. 14 (1979) 863.
- K. Padmanabhan and Kishore, Bull. Mater. Sci. 13, (4) (1990) 245.
- M. Davidovitz, A. Mittleman, I. Roman and G. Marom, J. Mater. Sci. 19 (1984) 377.
- ASTM D790M — 84, “Flexural properties of unreinforced and reinforced plastics and electrical insulating materials (Metric)”, in Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 08.01 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1989).
- C. B. Bucknall, “Toughened Plastics”, (Applied Science, London, 1977) p. 108.
- S. W. Tsai, “Structural behaviour of Composite Materials”, NASA CR-71 (1964).
- C. D. Ellis and B. Harris, J. Compos. Mater. 7 (1973) 76.
- S. M. Lee (ed.), “International Encyclopedia of Composites”, Vol. 2 (VCH, New York, 1990) p. 268.
- D. Purslow, Composites 12 (4) (1981) 241.
- Fibre-matrix interfacial failure sequences in translaminar flexure of glass-epoxy composites
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 29, Issue 1 , pp 33-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors