Mechanical properties of sisal fibre at elevated temperatures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sisal fibres extracted from the leaves of Agava sisalana plants 3, 5, 7 and 9 years old were tested at different temperatures for tensile strength, elongation, toughness and modulus. The tensile strength, modulus and toughness values of sisal fibre decreased with increase in temperature. The effect of plant age on tensile strength, tensile modulus and toughness of sisal fibre became very much less at 100 °C as compared to 30 °C. Fractured fibres were observed by using a scanning electron microscope. The ends of fibres fractured at elevated temperature showed a failure similar to that of inorganic fibres. Elongation values at all temperatures increased with age. Elongated capillaries were observed in fibres fractured at 80 and 100 °C, due to the removal of moisture and volatiles originally present in the fibres. The fibrils are clearly observed in the form of hollow cylinders. Fractured surfaces are composed of brittle as well as ductile phases. The ductile portion increased with the increase of temperature.
- Navin Chand and P. K. Rohatgi, J. Mater. Sci. 23 (1988) 381.
- Navin Chand, S. Sood, P. K. Rohatgi and K. G. Satyanarayana, J. Scient. Ind. Res. 43 (September 1984) 489.
- A. R. Greenberg, A. Mehling, M. Lee and J. H. Bock, J. Mater. Sci. 24 (1989) 2549.
- H. R. Mauersberger (ed.) “Textile fibres” (J. Wiley, New York, 1954).
- J. G. Cook, “Handbook of Textile Fibres: Natural Fibres”, 4th Edn (Merrow Publ., Watform, UK, 1968).
- K. G. Satyanarayana, A. G. Kulkarni and P. K. Rohatgi, J. Scient. Ind. Res. 40 (1981) 222.
- Navin Chand and S. A. R. Hashmi, “A Review on Sisal Fibres” (RRL, Bhopal, 1990).
- Idem, “Technical Report on Sisal Fibre” (RRL, Bhopal, 1991).
- R. W. Hertzberg, “Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials”, 2nd Edn (Wiley, New York, 1983).
- Mechanical properties of sisal fibre at elevated temperatures
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 28, Issue 24 , pp 6724-6728
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors