Electrical and optical studies on γ-irradiated pure and chromium-chloride-doped polyvinyl alcohol
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Measurements of optical absorption, electrical conductivity and of the dielectric constant were used to study the changes that occur due to γ-radiolysis of pure and CrCl3-doped polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) thin films. Identification of the structure and assignments of energy bands were derived in terms of ligand field theory. Induced changes in the absorbance at 282 and 222 nm bands in pure and doped PVA samples, respectively, appeared to be dose dependent. The direct-current (d.c.) electrical conductivity of the samples was measured in the temperature range 296–433 K, and the results obtained revealed that γ-irradiation enhances the conductivity. The calculated activation energy in the lower temperature region also proved to be dose dependent. Plots of the dielectric constant, ɛ′, against temperature show an interesting behaviour which depends on the dopant concentrations and exposure to γ-irradiation. The results obtained suggest that these materials may have an application in dosimetry.
- T. S. Nikitina, E. V. Zhuravskya and S. A. Kuzminsky, “Effect of ionizing radiation on high polymers”, (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1963).
- S. Cygan and J. R. Lagjari, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 36 (1989) 1386.
- B. Z. Tang, T. Masuda and T. Higashimura, J. Polym. Sci. B 28 (1990) 281.
- A. Torikai, R. Geetha, S. Nagaya and K. Fueki, J. Polym. Sci. A 28 (1990) 3639.
- M. M. Morsi and A. M. Nassar, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 27 (1978) 181.
- L. D. Bogomolova, A. G. Fedorov, V. A. Jackin and V. N. Lazukin, ibid. 37 (1980) 381.
- A. A. Kutub and H. S. Elmanharawy, J. Mater. Sci. 26 (1991) 3964.
- A. F. Basha, M. Amin, K. A. Darwish and H. A. Abd El-Samad, J. Polym. Mater. 5 (1988) 115.
- A. F. Basha, M. Amin, H. A. Abd El-Samad and K. A. Darwish, J. Polym. Mater. 5 (1988) 161.
- M. A. Khaled, A. F. Basha, M. El-Oker and H. A. Abd El-Samad, Ind. J. Phys. A 63 (1989) 399.
- F. Sharaf, M. A. Khaled, A. A. Abd El-Rahman and A. F. Basha, Acta Polymerica, 42 (1991) 636.
- S. A. Gaafar, F. H. Abd El-Kader and M. S. Risk, to be published.
- S. V. J. Lakshman, B. C. Venkata Reddy and J. Laskshmana Rao, Physica B 98 (1979) 65.
- A. B. P. Lever, “Inorganic electronic spectroscopy”, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1968).
- V. K. Jain, C. L. Gupta and P. K. Jain, Ind. J. Pure Appl. Phys. 16 (1978) 625.
- A. K. Jonscher, Thin Solid Films, 1 (1967) 1213.
- K. C. Kao and W. Hwang, “Electrical transport in solids”, (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1981).
- P. D. Garrett and D. T. Grubb, J. Polym. Sci. B 26 (1988) 2509.
- M. M. Perlman, J. Electrochem. Soc. 119 (1972) 892.
- P. Debye, “Polar molecules”, (Chemical Catalog Co., New York, 1929).
- Electrical and optical studies on γ-irradiated pure and chromium-chloride-doped polyvinyl alcohol
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 28, Issue 24 , pp 6719-6723
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors