Population size and mortality of juveniles of the marine teleost Rhabdosargus holubi (Pisces: Sparidae) in a closed estuary
- S. J. M. Blaber
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The populations of juvenile Rhabdosargus holubi (Steindachner) present in a South-east African estuary which was closed off from the sea in 1971 and 1972 were estimated using mark-recapture techniques. The estuary opened to the sea in August, 1971, and did not close again until January, 1972, by which time a different population of R. hulubi had established itself. The Petersen method and a multiple markrecapture method gave comparable population estimates. Catch per unit effort data supported the trends shown by the population estimates. At the beginning of 1971, the population was about 55,000 but, at the end of 7 months, had declined to 11,000, the monthly mortality varying between 9 and 49%. Mortality was insignificant in 1972, when a different population of approximately 12,000 individuals was present. Evidence is presented to show that the decline in numbers in 1971 was possibly due to bird predation, and was densitydependent.
- Bowmaker, A. P.: Cormorant predation on two Central African lakes. Ostrich 34, 2–26 (1963).
- Chilvers, R. M. and J. M. Gee: Tagging experiments on aquaria kept fish utilising Floy nylon tags. Rep. E. Afr. mar. Fish. Res. Org. 1969 (Appendix A) 15–20 (1969).
- Cormack, R. M.: The statistics of capture-recapture methods. Oceanogr. mar. biol. A. Rev. 6, 455–506 (1968).
- Day, J. H.: The biology of Knysna Estuary, South Africa. In: Estuaries, pp 397–407. Ed. by G. H. Lauff. New York: American Association for the Advancement of Science 1967.
- Green, J.: The biology of estuarine animals, 401 pp. London: Sidgewick & Jackson 1968.
- Hibbert-Ware, A.: An investigation of the pellets of the common heron (Ardea cinerea cinerea). Ibis 4 (14), 433–451 (1940).
- Jones, R.: A review of methods of estimating population size from marking experiments. F. A. O. Fish. Biol. tech. Pap. 51, 39–46 (1965).
- Junor, F. J. R.: Aspects of the biology of piscivorous birds of Lake Kyle, Rhodesia. M. Sc. Thesis, Rhodes University 1969.
- Kennedy, W. A.: Mortality of dart tagged captive sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria). J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can. 27, 979–981 (1970).
- Luther, H. A.: An iterative factorization technique for polynomials. Com. A. C. M. 6, 108–110 (1963).
- Macer, C. T.: The food web in Red Wharf Bay (North Wales) with particular reference to young plaice (Pleuronectes platessa). Helgoländer wiss. Meeresunters. 15, 560–573 (1967).
- Owen, D. F.: The food of the heron Ardea cinerea in the breeding season. Ibis 97, 276–295 (1955).
- Pearcy, W. G.: Ecology of an estuarine population of winter flounder, Pseudopleuronectes americanus (Walbaum) III. Distribution, abundance, growth, and production of juveniles; survival of larvae and juveniles. Bull. Bingham oceanogr. Coll. 18, 39–64 (1962).
- Pope, J. A.: The design and analysis of capture-recapture experiments. Spec. Publs. int. Commn NW Atlant. Fish. 4, 342–347 (1963).
- Ricker, W. E.: Handbook of computations for biological statistics of fish populations. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 119, 1–300 (1958).
- Riley, J. D. and J. Corlett: The number of 0 group plaice in Port Erin Bay, 1964–1966. Rep. mar. biol. Stn Port Erin 78, 51–56 (1965).
- Robson, D. S. and H. A. Regier: Estimation of population number and mortality rates. In: Methods for assessment of fish production in freshwaters, pp 124–158. Ed. by W. E. Ricker, Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications 1968.
- Thomson, J. M.: Some aspects of the ecology of Lake Macquarie N. S. W. with regard to an alleged depletion of fish. XI. Estimation of fish populations. Aust. J. mar. Freshwat. Res. 10, 388–398 (1959).
- Van Dobben, W. H.: The food of the cormorant in the Netherlands. Ardea 40, 1–63 (1952).
- Population size and mortality of juveniles of the marine teleost Rhabdosargus holubi (Pisces: Sparidae) in a closed estuary
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 219-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- S. J. M. Blaber (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Zoology Department, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa