Effects of processing on fatigue crack growth and creep rupture in unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (uPVC)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of processing of unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (uPVC) pipes on fatigue-crack growth in terms of mean stress, frequency and fatigue-crack initiation, as well as on creep rupture, were investigated. No significant processing effect was observed on fatigue crack growth rates and fatigue crack initiation. However, creep rupture with three-point bending tests was significantly affected by the processing level. Two orders of magnitude difference in time to failure were found between well and poorly processed pipes caused by the large difference in the stress intensity factor at fracture instability between these pipes.
- K. V. Gotham and M. J. Hitch, Brit. Polym. J. 10 (1978) 47.
- D. R. Moore, P. P. Benham, K. V. Gotham, M. J. Hitch and M. J. Littlewood, “The Long Term Fracture Performance of uPVC Pressure Pipe as Influenced by Processing”, Proceedings of Plastic Pipes 4, March 1979, Brighton (The Plastics and Rubber Institute, 1979), paper 27, p. 27.1.
- D. R. Moore, R. C. Stephenson and M. Whale, “Some Factors Affecting Toughness in uPVC Pipe Materials”, Proceedings of Plastic Pipes V, September 1982, York (The Plastics and Rubber Institute, 1982) paper 19, p. 19.1.
- G. P. Marshall and M. W. Birch, Plast. Rubber Applic. 2 (1982) 369.
- Y.-W. Mai and P. R. Kerr, J. Vinyl Technol. 7 (1985) 131. CrossRef
- M. A. Christie and B. Phelps, Int. J. Fatigue 6 (1984) 125. CrossRef
- J. J. Stapel, Pipes Pipelines Int. February (1977) 11.
- Y.-W. Mai and P. R. Kerr, J. Mater. Sci. 20 (1985) 2199. CrossRef
- C. S. Lee and M. M. Epstein, Polym. Engng Sci. 22 (1982) 549.
- R. W. Truss, Pure Appl. Chem. 57 (1985) 993.
- Effects of processing on fatigue crack growth and creep rupture in unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (uPVC)
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 28, Issue 12 , pp 3367-3372
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Newcastle, 2308, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- 2. Centre for Advanced Materials Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sydney, 2006, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 3. Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering, National University of Singapore, 0511, Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore