Planar acyclic oriented graphs
- Carsten Thomassen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A plane Hasse representation of an acyclic oriented graph is a drawing of the graph in the Euclidean plane such that all arcs are straight-line segments directed upwards and such that no two arcs cross. We characterize completely those oriented graphs which have a plane Hasse representation such that all faces are bounded by convex polygons. From this we derive the Hasse representation analogue, due to Kelly and Rival of Fary's theorem on straight-line representations of planar graphs and the Kuratowski type theorem of Platt for acyclic oriented graphs with only one source and one sink. Finally, we describe completely those acyclic oriented graphs which have a vertex dominating all other vertices and which have no plane Hasse representation, a problem posed by Trotter.
- B. Grünbaum (1969) Convex Polytopes, John Wiley, New York.
- B. Grünbaum and G. C. Shephard (1981) The geometry of planar graphs, Proc. Eighth British Combinatorial Conf., pp. 124–150.
- D. Kelly (1987) Fundamentals of planar ordered sets, Discrete Math. 63, 197–216.
- D. Kelly and I. Rival (1975) Planar lattices, Can. J. Math. 27, 636–665.
- J. Nesetril (1985) Complexity of diagrams, preprint, Charles Univ., Prague.
- C. R. Platt (1976) Planar lattices and planar graphs, J. Combin. Theory B21, 30–39.
- C. Thomassen (1980) Planarity and duality of finite and infinite graphs, J. Combin. Theory B29, 244–271.
- C. Thomassen (1984) Plane representations of graphs, in Progress in Graph Theory (J. A. Bondy and U. S. R. Murty eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 43–69.
- W. T. Trotter (1983) Graphs and partially ordered sets, in Selected Topics in Graph Theory 2 (L. W. Beineke and R. J. Wilson, eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 237–268.
- Planar acyclic oriented graphs
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 349-361
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Convex Hasse representations
- Kuratowski type results for Hasse diagrams
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mathematical Institute, The Technical University of Denmark, Building 303, DK-2800, Lyngby, Denmark