Elevated temperature deformation behaviour of multi-phase Ni-20 at % Al-30 at % Fe and its constituent phases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mechanical behaviour of the multi-phase (β′ + γ/γ′) alloy Ni-20 at % Al-30 at % Fe and alloys similar to its constituent β′ and γ/γ′ phases, Ni-30 at % Al-20 at % Fe and Ni-12 at % Al-40 at % Fe, respectively, were investigated. When tested in tension at 300 K, the alloys exhibited ≈ 20%, 2% and 28% elongation, respectively. At elevated test temperatures (700, 900 and 1100 K), the multi-phase alloy exhibited increased ductility, reaching an elongation in excess of 70% at 1100 K without necking or fracture. Similarly, the β′ alloy demonstrated increased ductility with increasing test temperatures. In contrast, the γ/γ′ alloy showed greatly reduced ductility with increasing temperature and was quite brittle both at 900 and 1100 K. Thus, whilst at room temperature the γ/γ′ phase improved the ductility of the β′ + γ/γ′ aggregate, at elevated temperatures the β′ phase alleviated the brittleness of the γ/γ′ phase, thereby preventing any embrittlement of the multi-phase alloy over the temperature range 300–1100 K. Also, whilst the β′ phase improved the room-temperature strength of the multi-phase alloy, at elevated temperatures where the β′ phase is known to be weak, the γ/γ′ phase improved the strength of the multi-phase alloy up to 900 K, beyond which the strength deteriorated due to disordering and lack of anomalous strengthening in the γ/γ′ component.
- E. P. GEORGE and C. T. LIU, J. Mater. Res. 5 (1990) 754.
- P. NAGPAL and I. BAKER, Mater. Charact 27 (1991) 167.
- K. H. HAHN and K. VEDULA, Scripta Metall 23 (1989) 7.
- P. NAGPAL and I. BAKER, ibid. 24 (1990) 2381.
- S. GUHA, P. R. MUNROE and I. BAKER, ibid. 23 (1989) 897.
- S. GUHA, I. BAKER, P. R. MUNROE and J. R. MICHAEL, Mater. Sci. Eng. A152 (1992) 2588.
- S. GUHA, P. R. MUNROE and I. BAKER, Proc. MRS 133 (1989) 533.
- Idem, Mater. Sci. Eng. A131 (1991) 27.
- I. BAKER, S. GUHA and J. A. HORTON, Philos. Mag. A67 (1993) 663.
- S. GUHA, I. BAKER and P. MUNROE, Mater. Charact (1995) in press.
- A. Z. ROZNER and WASILEWSKI, J. Inst. Metals 94 (1996) 169.
- R. T. PASCOE and C. W. A. NEWEY, Met. Sci. 2 (1968) 138.
- I. BAKER and P. R. MUNROE, in “High Temperature Aluminides and Intermetallics”, edited by S. H. WHANG, C. T. LIU, D. P. POPE, J. P. STEIGLER (TMS, Indianapolis, IN, 1990) p. 425.
- M. F. SINGLETON, J. L. MURRAY and P. NASH, in “Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams I”, edited by T. B. MASSALSKI (ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1986) p. 142.
- C. T. LIU, C. L. WHITE and E. H. LEE, Scripta Metall. 19 (1985) 1247.
- J. A. HORTON, C. T. LIU and M. L. SANTELLA, Metall. Trans. 18A (1987) 1265.
- R. D. NOEBE, R. R. BOWMAN, J. T. KIM, M. LARSEN and R. GIBALLA, in “High Temperature Aluminides and Intermetallics” edited by S. H. WHANG, C. T. LIU, D. P. POPE and J. P. STEIGLER (TMS, Indianapolis, IN, 1990) p. 271.
- S. C. HUANG, R. D. FIELD and D. D. KRUEGER, Metall. Trans. 21A (1990) 959.
- S. V. RAJ, R. D. NOEBE and I. E. LOCCI, in “High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys IV”, edited by Johnson, B. P. Pope and J. P. Steigler, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol 213 (MRS, 1991) p. 673.
- P. BEARDMORE, R. G. DAVIES and T. L. JOHNSTON, Trans. AIME 245 (1969) 1537.
- C. H. LLOYD and M. H. LORETTO, Phys. Status Solidi 39 (1970) 163.
- N. J. ZALUZEC and H. L. FRASER, Scripta Metall. 8 (1974) 1049.
- A. LASALMONIE, J. Mater. Sci. 17 (1982) 2419.
- I. BAKER and E. M. SCHULSON, Metall. Trans. 15A (1984) 1129.
- G. W. GROVES and A. KELLY, Philos. Mag. 8 (1963) 877.
- R. VON MISES, Z. Agnew Math. Mech. S. (1928) 161.
- A. BALL and R. E. SMALLMAN, Acta. Metall. 14 (1966) 1517.
- Elevated temperature deformation behaviour of multi-phase Ni-20 at % Al-30 at % Fe and its constituent phases
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 31, Issue 15 , pp 4055-4065
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors