Localization of two mouse genes encoding the protein tyrosine kinase receptor-related protein RYK
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have mapped the gene encoding the murine RYK growth factor receptor protein tyrosine kinase by genetic linkage analysis with recombinant inbred strains of mouse. Two distinct Ryk loci (Ryk-1 and Ryk-2) were identified. Ryk-1 mapped to Chromosome (Chr) 9, whereas Ryk-2 mapped to Chr 12. A similar arrangement of RYK-related loci was previously determined in the human. Synteny has already been established between murine Chr 9 in the region of Ryk-1, and human chromosome 3q11–12, the location of the human RYK-1 gene. However, the Ryk-2/RYK-2 loci on murine Chr 12 and human chr 17p13.3 define a new region of synteny.
- Chabot, B., Stevenson, D.A., Chapman, V.M., Besmer, P., Bernstein, A. (1988). The proto-oncogene c-kit encoding a transmembrane tyrosine kinase receptor maps to the mouse W locus. Nature 335, 88–89.
- Hafen, E., Basler K., Edstroem, J.E., Rubin, G.M. (1987). Sevenless, a cell-specific homeotic gene of drosophila, encodes a putative transmembrane receptor with a tyrosine kinase domain. Science 236, 55–63.
- Hanks, S.K., Quinn, A.M., Hunter, T. (1988). The protein kinase family: conserved features and deduced phylogeny of the catalytic domains. Science 241, 42–52
- Hovens, C.M., Stacker, S.A., Andres, A.-C., Harpur, A.G., Wilks, A.F. (1992). RYK, a putative receptor related to protein tyrosine kinases defines an unusual class of protein kinase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 11818–11822.
- Searle, A.G., Peters, J., Lyon, M.F., Hall, J.G., Evans, E.P., Edwards, J.H., Buckle, V.J. (1989). Chromosome maps of man and mouse, IV. Ann. Hum. Genet. 53, 89–140.
- Silver, J. (1985). Confidence limits for estimates of gene linkage based on analysis of recombinant inbred strains. Genet. Res. 26, 307–312.
- Stacker, S.A., Hovens, C.M., Vitali, A., Baker, E., Pritchard, M., Sutherland, G., Wilks, A.F. (1993). Characterisation of a receptor related to tyrosine kinases (RYK). Oncogene 8, 1347–1356.
- Taylor, B.A., Meier, H. (1976). Mapping the adrenal lipid depletion gene of the AKR/J mouse strain. Genet. Res. 26, 307–312.
- Wilks, A.F. (1993). Protein tyrosine kinase growth factor receptors and their ligands in development, differentiation and cancer. Adv. Cancer Res. 60, 43–73.
- Yarden, Y., Ullrich, A. (1988). Growth factor receptor tyrosine kinases. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 57, 443–478.
- Localization of two mouse genes encoding the protein tyrosine kinase receptor-related protein RYK
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 255-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Post Office, Royal Melbourne Hospital, 3050, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
- 3. Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Post Office, Royal Melbourne Hospital, 3050, Parkville, Victoria, Australia