Cloning and characterization of a second human NRAMP gene on chromosome 12q13
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The mouse Nramp1 gene was initially identified by positional cloning as a candidate for the host resistance locus Bcg on mouse Chromosome (Chr) 1. Subsequent studies have shown that Nramp is a small gene family of at least three members in the mouse genome. We report the isolation and characterization of a cDNA clone corresponding to the second member of the human NRAMP family, NRAMP2. Predicted amino acid sequence analysis of the NRAMP2 polypeptide identifies a polytopic membrane protein highly homologous to NRAMP1, with 66% identical residues (80% overall homology), resulting in identical predicted secondary structures for the two proteins. Sequence conservation is particularly high in the predicted transmembrane domains (90%), suggesting that these regions play a key role in the structural and functional aspects common to both proteins. As opposed to its NRAMP1 counterpart, whose expression is restricted to phagocytic cells, Northern blotting analyses indicate that NRAMP2 mRNA transcripts are expressed at low levels in all tissues analyzed. Fluorescence in situ hybridization has identified 12q13 as the chromosomal location for human NRAMP2.
- Abel, L., Demenais, F. (1988). Detection of major genes for susceptibility to leprosy and its subtypes in a Caribbean island: Desirade island. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 42, 256–266.
- Bairoch, A. (1991). PROSITE: a dictionary of sites and patterns in proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 19, 2241–2245.
- Bairoch, A. (1993). The PROSITE dictionary of sites and patterns in proteins: its current status. Nucleic Acids Res. 21, 3097–4103.
- Boyle, A.L., Feltquite, D.M., Dracopoli, N.C., Housman, D.E., Ward, D.C. (1992). Rapid physical mapping of cloned DNA on banded mouse chromosomes by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Genomics 12, 106–115.
- Bradley, D.J. (1977). Genetic control of Leishmania populations within the host. II. Genetic control of acute susceptibility of mice to L. donovani infection. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 30, 130–140.
- Bumstead, N., Barrow, P.A. (1987). Genetics of resistance to Salmonella typhimurium in newly hatched chicks. Br. Poult. Sci. 29, 521–530.
- Butler, A., Wey, A., Baker, K., and Salkoff, L. (1989). A family of putative potassium channel genes in drosophila. Science 243, 943–947.
- Cellier, M., Govoni, G., Vidal, S., Groulx, N., Liu, J., Sanchez, F., Skamene, E., Schurr, E., Gros, P. (1994). The human NRAMP gene: cDNA cloning, chromosomal mapping, genomic organization and tissue specific expression. J. Exp. Med. 180, 1741–1752.
- Dassa, E., Hofnung, M. (1985). Sequence of gene malG in E. coli K12: homologies between integral membrane components from binding protein-dependent transport systems. EMBO J. 4, 2287–2293.
- Devereux, J. (1991). The GCG sequence analysis softward package, version 7.0. Genetics Computer Group, Inc., University Research Park, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Dosik, J.K., Barton, C.H., Holiday, D.L., Krall, M.M., Blackwell, J.M., Mock, B.A. (1994). An Nramp-related sequence maps to mouse Chromosome 17. Mamm. Genome 5, 458–460.
- Feinberg, A.P., Vogelstein, B. (1984). A technique for radiolabelling DNA restriction endonucleases fragments to high specific activity. Anal. Biochem. 132, 6–13.
- Govoni, G., Vidal, S., Cellier, M., Lepage, P., Malo, D., Gros, P. (1994). Structural organization and cell specific expression of the mouse Nramp1 gene. Genomics (in press).
- Gros, P., Skamene, E., Forget, A. (1981). Genetic control of natural resistance to Mycobacterium bovis BCG. J Immunol. 127, 2417–2421.
- Gros, P., Skamene, E., Forget, A. (1983). Cellular mechanisms of genetically-controlled host resistance to Mycobacterium bovis (BCG). J. Immunol. 131, 1966–1973.
- Gruenheid, S., Cellier, M., Vidal, S., Gros, P. (1994). Identification and characterization of a second mouse Nramp gene. Genomics, in press.
- Hart, C.E., Ou, C.H., Galpin, J.C., Moore, J., Bacheler, L.T., Wasmuth, J.J., Petteway, S.R. Jr., Schochetman, G. (1990). Human chromosome 12 is required for elevated HIV-1 expression in human-hamster hybrid cells. Science 246, 488–491.
- Heng, H., Tsui, L-C. (1993). Models of DAPI banding and simultaneous in situ hybridization. Chromosoma 102, 325–332.
- Kerppola, R.E., Ames, G.F.-L. (1992). Topology of the hydrophobic membrane-bound components of the histidine periplasmic permease. Comparison with other members of the family. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 2329.
- Kishimoto, A., Nishiyama, K., Nalanishi, H., Uratsuji, Y., Nomura, H., Takeyama, Y., Nishizuka, Y. (1985). Studies on the phosphorylation of myelin basic proteins by protein kinase C and adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-dependent protein kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 260, 12492–12499.
- Kyte, J., Doolittle, R.F. (1982). A simple method for displaying the hydropathy of a protein. J. Mol. Biol. 157, 105.
- Lichter, P., Tang, C.J.C., Call, K., Hermanson, G., Evans, G.A., Housman, D., Ward, D. (1990). High-resolution mapping of chromosome 11 by in situ hybridization with cosmid clones. Science 247, 64–69.
- Lurie, M.B. (1964). Resistance to Tuberculosis: Experimental Studies in Native and Acquired Defensive Mechanisms. (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press).
- Lurie, M.B., Dannenberg, A.M. (1965). Macrophage function in infectious disease with inbred rabbits. Bacteriol. Rev. 29 466.
- Malo, D., Vidal, S., Skamene, E., Gros, P. (1993a). High resolution linkage map in the vicinity of the host resistance locus Beg on mouse chromosome 1. Genomics, 16, 655–663.
- Malo, D., Vidal, S.M., Leiman, J., Ward, D., Gros, P. (1993b). Physical delineation of the minimal chromosomal segment encompassing the host resistance locus Bcg. Genomics 17, 667–675.
- Malo, D., Vogan, K., Vidal, S., Hu, J., Cellier, M., Schurr, E., Fuks, A., Morgan, K., Gros, P. (1994). Haplotype mapping and sequence analysis of the mouse Nramp gene predicts susceptibility to infection with intracellular parasites. Genomics 23, 51–61.
- Nathan, C., Xie, Q.-W. (1994). Nitric oxide synthase: roles, tolls, and controls. Cell, 78, 915–918.
- Newstein, M., Stanbridge, E.J., Casey, G., Shank, P.R. (1990). Human chromosome 12 encodes a species-specific factor which increases human immunodeficiency virus type 1 tat-mediated trans activation in rodent cells. J. Virol. 64, 4565–4567.
- Ottenhoff, T.H., de Vries, R.R. (1987). HLA class II immune response and suppression genes in leprosy. Int. J. Lepr. 55, 521–534.
- Pinna, L.A. (1990). Casein kinase 2: an “eminence grise” in cellular regulation? Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1054, 267–284.
- Plant, J.E., Glynn, A. (1976). Genetics of resistance to infection with Salmonella typhimurium in mice. J. Infect. Dis. 133, 72–78.
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F., Maniatis, T. (1989). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed. (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press).
- Sanger, F., Nicklen, S., Coulson, A.R. (1977). DNA sequencing with chain termination inhibitors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 74: 5463–5467.
- Saurin, W., Koster, W., Dassa, E. (1994). Bacterial binding protein-dependent permeases: characterization of distinctive signatures for functionally related integral cytoplasmic membrane proteins. Mol. Microbiol. 12, 993–1004.
- Schurr, E., Skamene, E., Morgan, K., Chu, M.-L., Gros, P. (1990). Mapping of Col3a1 and Col6a3 to proximal murine chromosome 1 identifies conserved linkage of structural protein genes between murine chromosome 1 and human chromosome 2q. Genomics 8, 477–486.
- Schurr, E., Moorage, K., Gros, P., Skamene, E. (1991). Genetics of leprosy. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 44, 4–11.
- Shields, E.D., Russell, D.A., Pericak-Vance, M.A. (1987). Genetic epidemiology of the susceptibility to leprosy. J. Clin. Invest. 79, 1139–1143.
- Skamene, E., Gros, P., Forget, A., Kongshavn, P.A.L., St.-Charles, C., Taylor, B.A. (1982). Genetic regulation of resistance to intracellular pathogens. Nature 297, 506–509.
- Stead, W.W. (1992). Genetics and resistance to tuberculosis. Could resistance be enhanced by genetic engineering? Ann. Intern. Med. 116, 937–941.
- Unkles, S.E., Hawker, K.L., Grieve, C., Campbell, E.I., Montague, P., Kinghorn, J.R. (1991). crnA encodes a nitrate transporter in Aspergillus nidulans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 204–208.
- Vidal, S., Malo, D., Vogan, K., Skamene, E., Gros, P. (1993). Natural resistance to infection with intracellular parasites: isolation of a candidate for Bcg. Cell 73, 469–486.
- von Heijne, G. (1986). The distribution of positively charged residuces in bacterial inner membrane proteins correlates with the trans-membrane topology. EMBO J. 5, 3021–3027.
- Woodgett, J.R., Gould, K.L., Hunter, T. (1986). Substrate specificity of protein kinase C. Use of synthetic peptides corresponding to physiological sites as probes for substrate recognition requirements. Eur. J. Biochem. 161, 177–184.
- Cloning and characterization of a second human NRAMP gene on chromosome 12q13
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 224-230
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, 3655 Drummond, H3G1Y6, Montréal, Québéc, Canada
- 2. center for the Study of Host Resistance, McGill University, 3655 Drummond, H3G1Y6, Montréal, Québéc, Canada
- 3. CGAT Fish Mapping Resource Center, Department of Pathology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, M5G 1X8, Toronto, Ontario, Canada