Sol-gel preparation of CdS x Se1−x solid solution microcrystal-doped glasses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
CdS x Se1−x solid solution microcrystal-doped glasses with a significant quantum-sized effect were prepared by the sol-gel process. Gels synthesized by the hydrolysis of complex solution of Si(OC2H5)4, Cd(CH3COO)2·2H2O and selenium were treated in H2S and hydrogen gas atmospheres to form CdS x Se1−x solid solution crystals, whose compositions were determined from the X-ray diffraction and Raman scattering spectra. Sulphur in CdS crystals is substituted for selenium by heating in hydrogen gas, and its content decreases with increasing temperature. On the other hand, the sulphur content increases on reacting the CdSe crystalprecipitated glasses with H2S gas. The optical absorption spectra are shifted towards the red as the crystal size increases, and the gap energy is reciprocally proportional to the square of the crystal size.
- R. K. Jain and R. C. Lind, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 73 (1983) 647.
- J. Yumoto, S. Fukushima and K. Kubodera, Opt. Lett. 12 (1987) 832.
- M. Mitsunaga, H. Shinojima and K. Kubodera, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 5 (1988) 1448.
- J. T. Remillard and D. G. Steel, Opt. Lett. 13 (1988) 30.
- D. W. Hall and N. F. Borrelli, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 5 (1988) 1650.
- N. Finlayson, W. C. Banyai, C. T. Seaton, G. I. Stegeman, M. O'Neill, T. J. Cullen and C. N. Ironside, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 6 (1989) 675.
- M. Nogami, K. Nagasaka and E. Kato, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 73 (1990) 2097.
- M. Nogami, K. Nagasaka and M. Takata, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 122 (1990) 87.
- M. Nogami, K. Yamada, M. Watabe and K. Nagasaka, J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. 99 (1991) 625.
- M. Nogami, S. Suzuki and K. Nagasaka, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 135 (1991) 182.
- H. Toraya, J. Appl. Crystallogr. 19 (1986) 440.
- A. Tu and P. D. Persans, Appl. Phys. Lett. 58 (1991) 1506.
- Al. L. Efros and A. L. Efros, Sov. Phys. Semicond. 16 (1982) 772.
- Sol-gel preparation of CdS x Se1−x solid solution microcrystal-doped glasses
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 28, Issue 15 , pp 4129-4133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors