Microdistribution of metal elements in wood impregnated with a copper-chrome-arsenic preservative as determined by analytical electron microscopy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The distribution of Cu, Cr and As in the walls of tracheids of Scots pine impregnated with Tanalith C at a retention of 2.5 lb/ft3 has been examined at the submicroscopic level in the electron microscope microanalyser, EMMA-4, using the absolute method, as well as in the conventional electron microscope. All three elements are present in all regions examined (probe area 0.2 μm diameter). The concentration of Cu ranges from 0.4–0.9% (w/w), that of Cr is about 0.8%, while As ranges from 2%–2.6%. The morphology of this fine deposit is clearly dictated by the run of the cellulose microfibrils. There is in the wall an occasional coarse deposit, almost entirely copper, and the inner face of the tracheid wall is covered by a thin layer 20–30 μm thick which contains all these elements at high concentration.
- Anderson, N. G. 1967. Methods of Biochem. Analysis. Vol. XV (Intersc.).
- Belford, D. S., Preston, R. D. 1960. Nature 185: 911.
- Belford, D. S., 1958. Ph. D. Thesis. Leeds University.
- —, Myers, A., Preston, R. D. 1959a. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 34: 47.
- — Cook, C. D., Nevard, E. H., Preston, R. D. 1959b. Nature 183: 988.
- —, Preston, R. D., Cook, C. D., Nevard, E. H. 1957. Nature 180: 1081.
- —, Preston, R. D., Cook, C. D., Nevard, E. H. 1957. J. Appl. Chem. 9: 192.
- Browning, B. L. 1963. The Chemistry of Wood. Interscience. p. 689.
- Chandler, J. A. 1971. American Lab. April.
- Chandler, J. A., Chou, C. K. 1971. 28th Annual Proc. EMSA.
- Cooke, C. J., Duncumb, P. 1965. IVth Int. Cong. X-ray Optics and Microanalysis. Ed. Hermann. Springer-Verlag.
- Cooke, C. J., Duncumb, P. 1968. Vth Int. Cong. in X-ray Optics and Microanalysis. Tübingen. Ed. Möllenstedt and Gaukler: Springer-Verlag.
- Eadie, T., Wallace, E. M. 1962. J. Inst. Wood Sc. 10: 56.
- Flomina, E. E. 1967. Lesnoy Zhurnal 4: 115.
- — 1967. Lesnoy Zhurnal 10: 118.
- Hall, T. A. 1968. Nat. Bureau Stand. Conf. U.S.A. p. 269.
- Hall, T. A., Webra, P. 1968. Vth Int., Cong. in X-ray Optics and Microanalysis. Tübingen. Ed. Möllenstedt and Gaukler: Springer-Verlag.
- Hall, T. A., Höhling, H. J. 1968. Idem.
- — 1971. The Microprobe Assay of Chemical Elements. Ch. 3 of Physical Techniques in Biochemical Research, Vol. 1A, 2nd Ed. Academic Press, N. Y.
- Petty, J. A., Preston, R. D. 1968. Holzforsch. 22: 174.
- Preston, R. D. 1959a. Int. Rev. Cyt. 8: 33.
- Preston, R. D. 1959b. British Wood Preserving Association Annual Convention.
- — 1971. J. Microsc. 93: 7.
- Rudman, P. 1966. J. Inst. Wood. Sci. 16: 16.
- Weavers, B. A. 1971. Micron. 11 (4).
- Microdistribution of metal elements in wood impregnated with a copper-chrome-arsenic preservative as determined by analytical electron microscopy
Wood Science and Technology
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 151-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors