Studies on the transport of sugars in the holothurian Holothuria scabra
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experiments using 14C sugars were carried out on the holothurian Holothuria scabra Jäger, in order to assess the role of its perivisceral fluid in the translocation and transportation of dissolved organic materials. The results obtained indicate that the perivisceral fluid plays a significant part. Rates of 14C glucose, fructose and sucrose uptake were followed in major tissues such as the alimentary canal, haemal system, respiratory tree and body wall. The monosaccharides are absorbed more intensively by digestive and haemal systems, the disaccharide by respiratory tree and body wall. It is, therefore, presumed that tissues in H. scabra selectively absorb sugars depending on their metabolic activity.
- D'Agostino, A. S. and A. Farmanfarmaian: Transport of nutrients in the holothurian, Leptosynapta indaerens. Biol. Bull. mar. biol. Lab., Woods Hole 119, 301 (1960).
- Bennet, J. and A. C. Giese: The annual reproductive and nutritional cycles in two western sea urchins. Biol. Bull. mar. biol. Lab., Woods Hole 109, 226–237 (1955).
- Farmanfarmaian, A.: Transport of nutrients in echinoderms. Intern. Congr. Zool. 1, 118 (1963).
- —: Intestinal absorption and transport in Thyone. II. Observations on sugar transport. Biol. Bull. mar. biol. Lab., Woods Hole 137, 132–145 (1969).
- Ferguson, J. C.: The role of the coelomic fluid in the transport of nutrients in the starfish Asterias forbesi. Am. Zool. 2, 242 (1962).
- —: An autoradiographic study of the distribution of injected nutrients in the star fish, Asterias forbesi. Am. Zool. 3, 209 (1963).
- —: Nutrient transport in starfish. I. Properties of the coelomic fluid. Biol. Bull. mar. biol. Lab., Woods Hole 126, 33–53 (1964).
- Krishnan, S.: Histochemical studies on reproductive and nutritional cycles of the holothurian, Holothuria scabra. Mar. Biol. 2, 54–65 (1968).
- Lawrence, D. C., A. I. Lawrence, M. L. Green and D. Mailman: Intestinal absorption in the sea cucumber, Stichopus parvimentis. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 20, 619–627 (1967).
- Studies on the transport of sugars in the holothurian Holothuria scabra
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 303-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors