Impact of acidification on the methylmercury cycle of remote seepage lakes
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Concentrations of monomethylmercury [CH3Hg] were measured in the water and seston of five nearly pristine Wisconsin lakes, which span a range of pH from about 4.6 to 7.2. Previous studies had established a clear inverse relationship between [CH3Hg] in fish and the pH of lakes in this region. Here, we examined the pH dependency of [CH3Hg] in lake water and explored the partitioning of CH3Hg between water, seston, and fish as a function of pH. Results indicate that [CH3Hg] in lake water tends to increase as pH decreases, but that seasonal and spatial variability of [CH3Hg] in individual lakes confounds a simple analysis of the relationship. The partitioning of CH3Hg was related only weakly, if at all, to pH. Average partitioning coefficients (log kd=log (Cp/Cw)) were higher for yearling yellow perch (6.0 to 6.5) than for seston (5.5 to 6.0) but did not vary significantly between lakes. This suggests that acidification has a stronger effect on the supply of CH3Hg to the ecosystem than on specific rates of uptake by the biota.
- Bjorklund, I., Borg, H., and Johansson, K.: 1984, Ambio., 13, 118.
- Bloom, N.: 1989, Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 46, 1131. CrossRef
- Bloom, N.S and Effler, S.W.: 1991, Wat. Air Soil Pollut. in press.
- Bloom, N.S. and Fitzgerald, W.F.: 1988, Anal. Chim. Acta. 208, 151. CrossRef
- Bloom, N.S and Watras, C.T.: 1989, in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Heavy Metals in the Environment. J.P. Vernet (ed.). CEP consultants, Edinburgh, U.K. (pub).
- Brosset, C.: 1983, Wat. Sci. Tech., 15, 59.
- Bodaly, R.A., Strange, N.E., Hecky, R.E., Fudge, R.J.P., and Anema, C.: 1987, Canadian Data Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 610: iv-33.
- Cope, W.G., Wiener, J.G., and Rada, R.G.: 1990, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 9, in press.
- Craig, P.J. and Moreton, P.A.: 1984, Mar. Poll. Bull., 11, 406. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald, W.F. and Watras, C.T.: 1989, Sci. Tot. Environ. 87/88, 232.
- Furutani, I. and Rudd J.W.M.: 1980, App. Env. Micro., 40, 770.
- Gilmour, C. and Mitchell, R.: 1988, (abstract) ASM Annual Meeting. Miami Beach, FL, May 8–13.
- Grieb, T.M.: 1990, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 9, 919. CrossRef
- Hurley, J.P., Watras, CT, and Bloom, N.S: 1991, Wat. Air. Soil Pollut. in press.
- Lee, Y-H. and Mowrer, J.: 1989, Anal. Chim. Acta. 221, 259. CrossRef
- Lindberg, S.E.: 1980, Atmos. Environ. 14, 227. CrossRef
- Lindqvist, O., Jernelov, A., Johansson, K., and Rodhe, H.: 1984, National Swedish Environmental Protection Board Publication #1816, Solna, Sweden.
- Parks, J.W., Lutz, A., and Sutton, J.A.: 1989, Can. J. Fish Aq. Sci. 46, 2184. CrossRef
- Ramlal, P.S., Rudd, J.W.M., Furutani, A., and Xun, L.: 1985, Can. J. Fish Aq. Sci. 42, 685. CrossRef
- Ramsey, D.J.: 1990, Agaziss North Associates. Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. (personal communication).
- Rapsomanikis, S., Donard, O.X.F., and Weber, J.H.: 1985, Anal. Chem. 58, 35. CrossRef
- Rodgers, D.W., and Beamish, F.W.H.: 1983, Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 40, 824. CrossRef
- Rudd, J.W.M., Bodalyl, R.A., Kelley, C.A., and Bloom, N.S: 1990, International Conference on Mercury as an Environmental Pollutant (abstract) Gavle, Sweden June 11–13.
- Watras, C.J. and Frost, T.M.: 1988, Arch. Env. Contam. Toxicol. 18, 157. CrossRef
- WDNR: 1988, Health Advisory For People Who Eat Sport Fish From Wisconsin Waters, PUBL1E-019. Madison, Wisconsin.
- Wiener, J.G.: 1988, Trans. 52nd N.A. Wildl. And Nat. Res. Conf. pp 645–657.
- Xun, L., Campbell, N.E.R., and Rudd, J.W.M.: 1986, Can. J. Fish Aq. Sci. 44, 750. CrossRef
- Impact of acidification on the methylmercury cycle of remote seepage lakes
Water Air & Soil Pollution
Volume 56, Issue 1 , pp 477-491
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Brooks Rand, Ltd., 3950 6th Avenue N. W., 98107, Seattle, WA, USA
- 2. Bureau of Research Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources & Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Trout Lake Station, 54512, Boulder Junction, WI, USA
- 3. Center for Limnology University of Wisconsin, Madison 680 N. Park St., 53706, Madison, WI, USA