Occurrence and turnover of atmospheric mercury over the nordic countries
- Åke Iverfeldt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A seasonal variation of both particle and gaseous Hg concentrations in the atmosphere is present in south-western Sweden. An average gaseous Hg level of 3.7 ng m−3 is found in winter, compared to 2.8 ng m−3 in summer. A weak decreasing south-north gradient for gaseous Hg in air over the Nordic countries is also present, with yearly average values from 3.2 to 2.8 ng m−3. A gradient for particulate Hg is less clear. An air parcel trajectory sector classification of gaseous Hg levels in air, and to some extent the particulate associated Hg, clearly demonstrates the increased concentrations in the southern sectors, especially in south-western Sweden where the gaseous Hg increase is about I ng m−3. These observations are consistent with an influence from the European continent. The average concentrations of Hg in precipitation at the various stations show a pronounced decreasing south-north gradient. A major portion of the total Hg present in precipitation is associated with particles. For the southern stations, a strong correlation between Hg and sulfate, or pH, is present suggesting a connection between Hg in precipitation and anthropogenic activities.
- Ahmed, R., May, K., and Stoeppler, M.: 1987a, Fresenius Z. Anal. Chem. 326, 510. CrossRef
- Ahmed, R., May, K., and Stoeppler, M.: 1987b, Sci. Tot. Env. 60, 249. CrossRef
- Berman, S.S. and Boyko, V.J.: 1988, ‘ICES Sixth Intercalibration for Trace Metals in Estuarine Water (JMG 6-TM-SW)’, ICES Cooperative Research Report No. 152, International Council for the Exploration of the Sea, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Bernhard, M.: 1988, ‘Mercury in the Mediterranean’, UNEP Regional Seas Reports and Studies No. 98.
- Bloom, N. S. and Crecelius, E. A.: 1983, Mar. Chem. 14, 49. CrossRef
- Bloom, N.S. and Fitzgerald, W.F.: 1988, Anal. Chim. Acta 208, 151. CrossRef
- Bloom, N.S. and Watras, C.J.: 1989, Sci. Tot. Env. 87/88, 199. CrossRef
- Brosset, C.: 1982, Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 17, 37.
- Brosset, C.: 1987, Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 34, 145. CrossRef
- Brosset, C. and Iverfeldt, A.: 1989, Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 43, 147. CrossRef
- Brosset, C. and Lord, E.: 1991, Water, Air and Soil Pollut., this volume,
- Cossa, D. and Courau, P.: 1984, ‘ICES Fifth Intercalibration for Trace Metals in Seawater’, Rep. of Sect. 4, CM 1984/E: 40, 7 pp.
- Ferrara, R., Maserti, B., Petrosino, A., and Bargagli, R.: 1986, Atm. Environ. 20, 125. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald, W.F.: 1986, ‘Cycling of Mercury Between the Atmosphere and Oceans’ in P. Buat-Menard (ed.), The Role of Air-Sea Exchange in Geochemical Cycling, D. Reidel Pub. Co., 363.
- Fitzgerald, W.F., Gill, G.A., and Hewitt, A.D.: 1983, ‘Air-Sea Exchange of Mercury’ in C.S. Wong, E. Boyle, K.W. Bruland, J.D. Burton, and E.D. Goldberg (eds.), Trace Metals in Sea Water, Plenum Press, New York, 297.
- Fitzgerald, W.F., Gill, G.A., and Kim, J.P.: 1984, Science 224, 597. CrossRef
- Fogg, T.R. and Fitzgerald, W.F.: 1979, J. Geophys. Res. 84, 6987. CrossRef
- Haraldsson, C., Westerlund, S., and Ohman, P.: 1989, Anal. Chim. Acta 221, 77. CrossRef
- Iverfeldt, Å.: 1988, Mar. Chem. 23, 441. CrossRef
- Iverfeldt, Å. and Lindqvist, O.: 1986, Atm. Environ. 20, 1567. CrossRef
- Iverfeldt, Å. and Rodhe, H.: 1988, ‘Atmospheric Transport and Deposition of Mercury in the Nordic Countries’, Prog. Report Prepared for the Nordic Council of Ministers, Swedish Environmental Research Institute No. L87/285, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Lindqvist, O. and Rodhe, H.: 1985, Tellus 37B, 136. CrossRef
- McElroy, W.J. and Munthe, J.: 1990, ‘Kinetic Studies of Some Aqueous Reactions of Potential Importance in the Atmospheric Chemistry of Mercury’, NPTEC Report ESTD/L/0129/R90, National Power, U.K.
- Slemr, F., Seiler, W., and Schuster, G.: 1981, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 1159. CrossRef
- Slemr, F., Schuster, G., and Seiler, W.: 1985, J. Atm. Chem. 3, 407. CrossRef
- Uchino, E., Kosuga, T., Kanishi, S., and Nishimura, M.: 1987, Envir. Sci. Technol. 21, 920. CrossRef
- Occurrence and turnover of atmospheric mercury over the nordic countries
Water Air & Soil Pollution
Volume 56, Issue 1 , pp 251-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Åke Iverfeldt (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Swedish Environmental Research Institute, P.O. Box 47086, S-402 58, Göteborg, Sweden