Some Observations on the fine structure of the olfactory epithelium in the domestic duck
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The fine structure of the olfactory epithelium of the domestic duck (Anser cinereus) has been examined and compared with the olfactory epithelium of other vertebrates, particularly the frog (Rana temporaria). In addition to the usual olfactory cilia, the terminal swellings of the olfactory receptors in the duck bear numerous short microvilli. The supporting cells of the epithelium do not secrete copious amounts of mucus as they do in the frog. The structure of the basal cells and of the glands of Bowman are briefly described.
It is concluded that the receptor microvilli could increase the free surface of a receptor dendrite by about 400% and that microvilli and cilia together may increase it by about 1000%. It is also concluded that as yet no phylogenetic pattern can be observed in the olfactory epithelia of various vertebrate groups.
- Allison, A. C.: The morphology of the vertebrate olfactory system. Biol. Rev. 28, 195–244 (1953).
- Andres, K. H.: Der Feinbau der Regio olfaotoria von Makrosmatikern. Z. Zellforsch. 69, 140–154 (1966).
- Bannister, L. H.: The fine structure of the olfactory surface of teleostan fishes. Quart. J. micr. Sci. 106, 333–342 (1965).
- Brown, H. E., and L. M. Beidler: The fine structure of the olfactory tissue in the black vulture. Fed. Proc. 25, No. 2 (1966).
- De Lorenzo, A. J.: Electron microscopic observations of the olfactory mucosa and olfactory nerve. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 3, 839–850 (1957).
- —: Electron microscopy of the olfactory and gustatory pathway. Ann. otolaryngol. 69, 410–420 (1960).
- —: Studies on the ultrastructure and histophysiology of cell membranes, nerve fibres and synaptic junctions in chemoreceptors. In: Olfaction and taste (ed. by Y. Zotterman), vol. 1, p. 5–18. Proceedings of the First international Symposium held at the Wenner-Gren Center. Stockholm 1962. New York: Macmillan & Co. 1963.
- Graziadei, P.: Electron microscopic observations on the olfactory mucosa of the cat. Experentia (Basel) 21, 274–275 (1965).
- —: Osservazioni al microscopio elettronico sulla mucosa olfattiva di rana. R. Acc. Naz. Lincei 40, 907–911 (1966a).
- —: Electron microscopic observations of the olfactory mucosa of the mole. J. Zool. 149, 89–94 (1966b).
- Millonig, G.: Advantages of a phosphate buffer for OsO4 solution in fixation. J. appl. Phys. 32, 1637 (1961).
- Reese, T. S.: Olfactory cilia in the frog. J. Cell Biol. 25, 209–230 (1965).
- Trujillo-Cenoz, O.: Electron microscope observations on chemo- and mechano-receptor cells of fishes. Z. Zellforsch. 54, 654–676 (1961).
- Some Observations on the fine structure of the olfactory epithelium in the domestic duck
Zeitschrift für Zellforschung und Mikroskopische Anatomie
Volume 80, Issue 2 , pp 220-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors