On the diploid state of the fish order Ostariophysi
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our previous study on the order Ostariophysi was limited to members of the family Cyprinidae, suborder Cyprinidea. It was shown that the carp and the goldfish with 104 chromosomes and a DNA value of 50% that of mammals are tetraploid, as the diploid species of this family has 50–52 chromosomes and a 25% DNA value. In order to obtain some idea as to how many changes in DNA values and chromosome complements have occurred among diploid members of Ostariophysi, the study was expanded to cover members of the families Cobitidae and Characinidae of the suborder Cyprinidea as well as members of the families Ictarulidae and Loricaridae of the suborder Siluroidea. Diploid chromosome numbers varied from 50 to 98 and DNA values from 27–51% that of mammals. Apparently, diploid members of Ostariophysi underwent extensive chromosomal rearrangements as well as steady increases in DNA contents by regional duplication of chromosomal segments.
- Atkin, N. B., G. Mattinson, W. Beçak, and S. Ohno: The comparative DNA content of 19 species of placental mammals, reptiles and birds. Chromosoma (Berl.) 17, 1–10 (1965).
- —, and S. Ohno: DNA values of four primitive chordates. Chromosoma (Berl.) 23, 10–13 (1967).
- Ohno, S., and N. B. Atkin: Comparative DNA values and chromosomes of eight species of fishes. Chromosoma (Berl.) 18, 455–466 (1966).
- —, J. Muramoto, L. Christian, and N. B. Atkin: Diploid-tetraploid relationship among old-world members of the fish family Cyprinidae. Chromosoma (Berl.) 23, 1–9 (1967).
- - - J. Klein, and N. B. Atkin: Diploid-tetraploid relationship in clupeoid and salmonoid fish of the Pacific. Chromosomes Today 2 (in press).
- - U. Wolf, and N. B. Atkin: Evolution from fish to mammals by gene duplication. Hereditas (Lund) (in press).
- Taylor, K. M.: The chromosomes of some lower chordates. Chromosoma (Berl.) 21, 181–188 (1967).
- On the diploid state of the fish order Ostariophysi
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 59-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors