Isolation and selection of biosurfactant-producing bacteria
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Haemolysis has been used as an initial selection criterion for the primary isolation of surfactant-producing bacteria. Only 37 of 492 strains of different origins had haemolytic activity. These 37 strains, together with 49 non-haemolytic ones chosen at random, were studied for surface activity. Only five strains, all of them haemolytic, tested positive. Haemolysis and biosurfactant-production are thus probably associated.
- Bosh, M.T., Robert, M., Mercadé, M., Espuny, M.J., Parra, J.L. & Guinea, J. 1988 Surface active compounds on microbial cultures. Tensides, Surfactants, Detergents, 25, 208–211.
- Cooper, D. G. & Zajic, J.F. 1980 Surface acting compounds from microorganisms. Advances in Applied Microbiology 26, 229–253.
- Foght, J.M., Gutnick, D.L. & Westlake, D.W.S. 1989 Effect of emulsion on biodegradation of crude oil by pure and mixed cultures. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 55, 36–42.
- Francy, D.S., Thomas, J.M., Raymond, R.L. & Ward, C.H. 1991 Emulsification of hydrocarbons by surface bacteria. Journal of Industrial Microbiology 8, 237–246.
- Gerson, D.F. & Zajic, J.E. 1979 Microbial biosurfactants. Process Biochemistry 14, 20–24.
- Ghurye, G.L., Vipulanandan, C. & Willson, R.C. 1994 A practical approach to biosurfactant production using nonaseptic fermentation of mixed cultures. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 44, 661–666.
- Guerra-Santos, L., Kappeli, O. & Fiechter, A. 1984 Pseudomonas aeruginosa biosurfactant production in continuous culture with glucose as carbon source. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 48, 301–305.
- Haferburg, D., Hommel, R., Claus, R. & Kleber, H.P. 1986 Extracellular microbial lipids as biosurfactants. Engineering Biotechnology 33, 53–59.
- Marchesi, J.R., Russell, N.J., White, G.F. & House, W.A. 1991 Effects of surfactant adsorption and biodegradability in the distribution of bacteria between sediments and water in a fresh water microcosm. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57, 2507–2513.
- Passeri, A., Schmith, M., Lang, S. Wagner, F., Wray, V., Pormba, K. & Gunkel, W. 1988 Marine microorganisms: formation and effects of biosurfactants. In Eighth International Biotechnology Symposium, Abstract Book, Paris, 17–22 July p. 292.
- Persson, A. & Molin, G. 1987 Capacity for biosurfactant production of environmental Pseudomonas and Vibrionaceae growing on carbohydrates. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 26, 439–442.
- Posgate, J.R. 1969 Viable counts and viability. In Methods in Microbiology, Vol. 1 Norris, J.R. & Ribbons, D.W. (editors), pp. 611–615. London: Academic Press.
- Ramsay, B., McCarthy, J., Guerra-Santos, L., Kappeli, O. & Fiechter, A. 1988 Biosurfactant production and diauxic growth of Rhodococcus aurantiacus when using n-alkanes as the carbon source. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 34, 1209–1212.
- Isolation and selection of biosurfactant-producing bacteria
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 82-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- critical micellar concentration
- haemolytic capacity
- surface tension
- Industry Sectors