Characteristics of extracellular proteases produced by Bacillus laterosporus and Flavobacterium sp. isolated from gelatinfactory effluents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Forty bacterial isolates from the effluents of a gelatin factory (Jabalpur, India) were screened for protease activity and the two most potent producers were identified as Bacillus laterosporus and a Flavobacterium sp. The enzymes of both isolates were optimal at pH 8 and 60°C, with maximum activity after 90 min. The enzyme activity of B. laterosporus was suppressed by Fe2+, Mg2+, Mn2+ and Zn2+ ions but was enhanced by Ba2+ and Ca2+. That of Flavobacterium sp. was suppressed by Mg2+ and Mn2+ ions but enhanced by Ba2+, Ca2+ and Fe2+. The enzyme activity of the former was strongly inhibited by KCN, whereas that of the latter was only slightly inhibited by 8-hydroxyquinoline.
- Anon. 1985 Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Waste Water, 16th edn. New York: American Public Health Association.
- Bryant, T.N. 1989 Probable Identification of Bacteria. Southampton, UK: Medical Statistics and Computing.
- Buchanan, R.E. & Gibbons, N.E. (eds) 1974 Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 8th edn. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.
- Chakraborty, R. & Srinivasan, M. 1992 Production and regulation of a thermostable protease by Pseudomonas sp. B45. Acta Microbiologica Hungarica 39, 181–191.
- Chrost, R.J., Halemejko, G.Z. & Overbeck, J. 1986 Is proteolysis dependent on phosphorus in fresh water? FEMS Microbiology Letters 37, 199–202.
- Fujio, Y. & Kume, S. 1991 Characteristics of a highly thermostable neutral protease produced from Bacillus stearothermophilus. World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology 7, 12–16.
- Jacob, M.B. & Gerstein, M.J. 1960 Handbook of Microbiology. New York: Van Nostrand, Reinhold.
- Kubo, M., Okajima, J. & Hasumi, F. 1994 Isolation and characterization of soybean waste-degrading microorganisms and analysis of fertilizer effects of the degraded products. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60, 343–347.
- Kunitz, M. 1947 Crystalline soybean trypsin inhibition. Journal of General Physiology 30, 291–320.
- Marrink, J. & Gruber, M. 1966 Proteolytic activity in tissue extracts. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta 118, 438–451.
- Michotey, V. & Blanco, C. 1994 Characterization of an endoserine protease secreted by Arthrobacter aureus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60, 341–343.
- Priest, F.G. 1977 Extracellular enzyme synthesis in the genus Bacillus. Bacteriological Reviews 41, 711–753.
- Sen, S. & Satyanarayana, T. 1993 Optimization of alkaline protease production by thermophilic Bacillus licheniformis S-40. Indian Journal of Microbiology. 31, 43–47.
- Characteristics of extracellular proteases produced by Bacillus laterosporus and Flavobacterium sp. isolated from gelatinfactory effluents
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 615-617
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bacillus laterosporus
- Industry Sectors