A study of photophysics using the Z-scan technique: lifetime determination for high-lying excited states
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report a novel method of determining the lifetimes of the high-lying excited singlet states of dye molecules in solution. The method is based on simulating the Z-scan technique with ground-state and excited-state absorptions of an incident laser pulse having Gaussian temporal and spatial distributions. This leads to the important finding that the use of laser pulses as long as tens of picoseconds can resolve subpicosecond lifetime.
- M. SHEIK-BAHAE, A. A. SAID, T. H. WEI, D. J. HAGAN and E. W.Van STRYLAND, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 26 (1990) 760.
- C. JENSEN, in High-Power Dye Lasers, edited by F. J. DURATE (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991) p. 48.
- L. W. HILLMAN, in Dye Laser Principles, edited by F. J. DURATE and L. W. HILLMAN (Academic Press, New York, 1990), pp. 27–8.
- S. P. MCGLYNN, T. AZUMI and M. KINOSHITA, The Triplet State (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1969) p. 11.
- T.-H. HUANG, K. E. RIECKHOFF, E. M. VOIGT and E. R. MENZEL, Chem. Phys. 19 (1977) 25.
- T.-H. HUANG, K. E. RIECKHOFF and E. M. VOIGT, Chem. Phys. 36 (1979) 423.
- E. R. MENZEL, K. E. RIECKHOFF and E. M. VOIGT, J. Chem. Phys. 58 (1973) 5726.
- T. H. WEI D. J. HAGAN, M. J. SENCE, E. W.Van STRYLAND, J. W. PERRY and D. R. COULTER, Appl. Phys. B 54 (1992) 46.
- A. YARIV, Optical Electronics, 4th edn (Saunders, Chicago, IL, 1991) p. 48.
- M. SHEIK-BAHAE, A. A. SAID and E. W.Van STRYLAND, Opt. Lett. 14 (1989) 955.
- F. P. SCHAFER, in Dye Lasers, 3rd edn, edited by F. P. SCHAFER (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991) p. 9.
- A study of photophysics using the Z-scan technique: lifetime determination for high-lying excited states
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 28, Issue 10 , pp 1495-1508
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors