Size variation and orientation of the human Y chromosome
- Ulla Gripenberg
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The material consists of 84 metaphase plates from 17 individuals with clearly distinguishable Y chromosomes. The plates were obtained from leucocyte cultures. In making the preparations, exactly the same procedure was employed in all cases, including among other things, air-drying and light flaming.
It was found that the size of the Y chromosome is subject to interindividual variation. The size of the Y chromosome has been expressed in relation to the mean length of the other small acrocentric chromosomes. The chromosomes have been tentatively classified into the following main groups:1. Y/G = 1.8; 2. Y/G =1.5; 3. Y/G is somewhat larger than G or 1.1, and 4. Y/G equals the mean of the small acrocentric chromosomes, or Y/G = 1. In the long Y chromosome two secondary constrictions have been observed.
The location of the Y chromosome has been determined as peripheral or non-peripheral. The proband material has been divided into three main groups. The first comprises the individuals with a large Y chromosome (Y/G = 1.8). The second group includes individuals showing Down's syndrome and having 47 chromosomes, and the third comprises individuals with 46 chromosomes and possessing a Y/G sized 1 to 1.5. Preferential peripheral location of the Y chromosome has not been statistically verified in any one of these groups.
- Bender, M. A., and P. C. Gooch: An unusually long human Y chromosome. Lancet 1961 II, 463–464.
- Bishop, A., C. E. Blank, and H. Hunter: Heritable variation in the human Y chromosome. Lancet 1962 II, 18–20.
- Brink, J. M. van, P. L. Los, and A. J. Nienhaus: Satellite associations and the identification of the Y chromosome in man. Genetica 33, 45–51 (1962).
- Chu, E. H. Y., and N. H. Giles: Human chromosome complements in normal somatic cells in culture. Amer. J. hum. Gen. 11, 63–79 (1959).
- Conen, P. E., J. D. Bailey, W. H. Allemang, D. W. Thompson, and C. Ezrin: A probable partial deletion of the Y chromosome in an intersex patient. Lancet 1961 II, 294–295.
- Dekaban, A. S., M. A. Bender, and G. E. Economos: Chromosome studies in mongoloids and their families. Cytogenetics 2, 61–75 (1963).
- Denver study group: A proposed standard system of nomenclature of human mitotic chromosomes. Cerebr. Palsy Bull. 2, No 3, Suppl. (1960).
- Fisher, R. A.: Statistical methods for research workers. 1948.
- German, J. L.: Further characterization of the chromosomal complement of man through autoradiography. Proc. XI Internat. Congr. Gen. 1, 301 (1963).
- Jacobs, P. A., and D. G. Harnden: See L. J. Penrose: Mongolism. Brit. med. Bull. 17, 184–189 (1961).
- Källén, B., and A. Levan: Abnormal length of chromosomes 21 and 22 in four patients with Marfan's syndrome. Cytogenetics 1, 5–19 (1962).
- Levan, A., and T. C. Hsu: The human idiogram. Hereditas (Lund) 45, 665–674 (1959).
- Makino, S., M. S. Sasaki, K. Yamada, and T. Kajii: A long Y chromosome in man. Chromosoma (Berl.) 14, 154–161 (1963).
- Matthey, R.: Les bases cytologiques de l'hérédité ≪relativement≫ liée au sexe chez les mammifères. Experientia (Basel) 13, 341–346 (1957).
- Miller, O. J., W. R. Breg, B. B. Mukherjee, A. V. N. Gamble, and A. C. Christakos: Non-random distribution of chromosomes in metaphase figures from cultured human leukocytes. II. The peripheral location of chromosomes 13, 17–18 and 21. Cytogenetics 2, 152–168 (1963).
- —, B. B. Mukherjee, W. R. Breg, and A. van N. Gamble: Non-random distribution of chromosomes in metaphase figures from cultured human leukocytes. I. The peripheral location of the Y chromosome. Cytogenetics 2, 1–14 (1963).
- Muldal, S., and C. H. Ockey: Muscular dystrophy and deletion of Y chromosome. Lancet 1961 II, 601.
- Patau, K.: The identification of individual chromosomes especially in man. Amer. J. hum. Gen. 12, 250–276 (1960); - Chromosome identification and the Denver report. Lancet 1961 I, 933–934.
- Sasaki, M. S., and S. Makino: The demonstration of secondary constrictions in human chromosomes by means of a new technique. Amer. J. hum. Gen. 15, 24–33 (1963).
- Stern, C.: The chromosomes of man. J. med. Educ. 34, 301–314 (1959).
- Swanson, C.: Cytology and Cytogenetics. Englewoods Cliffs, N. Y., Prentice-Hall. 1957.
- Tjio, J. H., and T. T. Puck: The somatic chromosomes of man. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.) 44, 1229–1237 (1958).
- Wijck, J. A. M. van, C. A. J. Tijinck, and L. A. M. Stolte: Abnormalities in the Y chromosome. Lancet 1962 I, 218.
- Size variation and orientation of the human Y chromosome
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 618-629
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ulla Gripenberg (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Genetics, Helsinki