- M. A. (Ken) Clements
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The article is a biographical account of Terence Tao's mathematical development. Born in 1975 he has exhibited a formidable mathematical precociousness which the author describes in some detail. The paper also presents the social and family context surrounding this precociousness and discusses the educational implications of this data.
- Bell, E. T.: 1962, Men of Mathematics, Simon and Schuster, New York.
- Burden, L. D. and Coulson, S. A.: 1981, ‘Processing of spatial tasks’, M.Ed. Studies Project, Monash University.
- Cornish, G. and Wines, R.: 1977, Operations Test, Australian Council for Educational Research, Melbourne.
- Fefferman, C.: 1983, ‘An account of a mathematician's education’, Mathematics Teacher 76, 228.
- House, P. A.: 1983, ‘Alternative education programs for gifted students in mathematics’, Mathematics Teacher 76, 229–233.
- Krutetskii, V. A.: 1976, The Psychology of Mathematical Abilities in Schoolchildren, University of Chicago Press (translated from Russian by J. Teller, edited by J. Kilpatrick and I. Wirszup).
- Lean, G. A. and Clements, M. A.: 1981, ‘Spatial ability, visual imagery and mathematical performance’, Educational Studies in Mathematics 12, 267–299.
- Shepard, R. N.: 1978, ‘Externalization of mental images and the act of creation’, in B. S. Randhawa and W. E. Coffman (eds.), Visual Learning, Thinking and Communication, Academic Press, New York 133–184.
- Sheckels, M. P. and Eliot, J.: 1983, ‘Preference and solution patterns in mathematics performance’, Perceptual and Motor Skills 57, 811–816.
- Stanley, J. C. and Benbow, C. P.: 1982, ‘Educating mathematically precocious youths: Twelve policy recommendations’, Educational Researcher 11, 4–9.
- Stanley, J. C. and Benbow, C. P.: 1983, ‘SMPY's first decade: Ten years of posing problems and solving them’, Journal of Special Education 17, 11–25.
- Vance, J. H.: 1983, ‘The mathematically talented student revisited’, Arithmetic Teacher 31, 22–25.
- Wattanawaha, N. and Clements, M. A.: 1982, ‘Qualitative aspects of sex-related differences in performances on pencil-and-paper spatial questions, grades 7–9’, Journal of Educational Psychology 74, 878–887.
- Terence Tao
Educational Studies in Mathematics
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 213-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. G-53 Saket, 110017, New Delhi, India