Surgery Today

, Volume 25, Issue 6, pp 552–553

An intestinal fistula in a 3-year-old child caused by the ingestion of magnets: Report of a case

Authors

  • Makoto Honzumi
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
  • Chika Shigemori
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
  • Hideki Ito
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
  • Yasuhiko Mohri
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
  • Hisashi Urata
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
  • Takayuki Yamamoto
    • Second Department of SurgeryMie University School of Medicine
Case Reports

DOI: 10.1007/BF00311314

Cite this article as:
Honzumi, M., Shigemori, C., Ito, H. et al. Surg Today (1995) 25: 552. doi:10.1007/BF00311314

Abstract

We describe herein the case of a 3-year-old child in whom a jejunoileal fistula was caused by the ingestion of magnets. This case report demonstrates that if more than one magnet is found as a foreign body in the intestine, they should not be left untreated even if there are no sharp edges and, it seems they could be evacuated spontaneously. This recommendation is made because the magnets will attract each other and hold the intestinal walls between them, causing necrosis and resulting in intestinal perforation or a fistula.

Key Words

ingested magnetsintestinal foreign body
Download to read the full article text

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 1995