The chemical and histochemical properties of Alcian Blue
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Alcian Blues are a family of polyvalent basic dyes, with at least two, and up to four isothiouronium groups per copper phthalocyanine ring. The isothiouronium group is a little more basic than ammonia but not so basic as caustic soda. Alcian Blues react with polyanions such as heparin, DNA and hyaluronate in aqueous solution, to give insoluble precipitates, in which the two reactants are bound electrostatically, in a “salt link”. The combination of model compounds containing isothiouronium groups with a range of biological polyanions showed that there was no unusual specificity in this combination.
- Albert, A., R. J. Goldacre, and J. Philips: The strength of heterocyclic bases. J. chem. Soc. 1948, 2240.
- Bloom, G. D., and J. W. Kelly: The Copper Phthalocyanine dye Astrablau and its staining properties, especially the staining of mast cells. Histochemie 2, 48–57 (1960).
- Colour Index, No. 74240. 2nd ed., 1956–1963.
- Gregory, J. D.: The effect of borate on the Carbazole Reaction. Arch. Biochem. 89, 157–159 (1960).
- Haddock, N. H.: Alcian Blue, a new phthalocyanin dyestuff. Research 1, 685–689 (1948).
- Janssen, M. J.: Physical properties of organic thiones. Pt. IV. The basicity of the thiocarbonyl group in various thiones. Rec. Trav. chim. Pays-Bas 81, 650–660 (1962).
- Lubs, H. A.: The chemistry of synthetic dyes and pigments. Amer. Chem. Soc. Monographs, No. 127. New York: Reinholz 1955.
- McKinney, R. E.: Staining bacterial polysaccharides. J. Bact. 66, 453–455 (1953).
- Moser, F. H., and A. L. Thomas: The Phthalocyanins. Amer. Chem. Soc. Monographs, No. 157, 1963.
- Scott, J. E.: The precipitation of polyanions by long chain quaternary ammonium salts. Chem. and Ind. 1955, 1568.
- — Aliphatic ammonium salts in the assay of acidic polysaccharides from tissues. Meth. biochem. Anal. 8, 145–197 (1960).
- — The precipitation of polyanions by long chain aliphatic ammonium salts. 6. The affinity of substituted ammonium cations for the anionic groups of some biological polymers. Biochem. J. 84, 270–275 (1962).
- Steedman, H. F.: Alcian Blue 8 GS, a new stain for mucin. Quart. J. micr. Sci. 91, 477–479 (1950).
- Ventakaraman, K.: The chemistry of synthetic dyes. New York: Academic Press 1952.
- The chemical and histochemical properties of Alcian Blue
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 73-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors