Differential staining of acid glycosaminoglycans (mucopolysaccharides) by Alcian blue in salt solutions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The application of the “critical electrolyte concentration” (CEC) concept to the differentiation of acidic glycosaminglycans (mucopolysaccharides) is described. Alcian Blue 8GX stains with increasing selectivity as increasing amounts of magnesium chloride are incorporated into the dye solution. Model experiments with pure polyanions, or artifically carboxylated, phosphorylated and sulphated liver sections, showed that binding of dye to carboxylate or phosphate groups ceased at low electrolyte concentrations (< 0.3M) whereas dye continued to be held by sulphate ester groups at concentrations five to ten times as high. The similarity to the well established cetylpyridinium system for polyanion fractionation is discussed.
Sections of tissues chosen to contain predominantly or characteristically carboxylated mucins, and/or sulphate ester polyanions showed a staining pattern entirely similar to the model sections. Goblet cell mucin in rat ileum stained at < 0.4M MgCl2, Cartilage at < 0.6M MgCl2, mast cells at < 0.75M, and corneal stroma at < 1.0M. These results are in agreement with the known contents of sialo-mucin, chondroitin sulphate, heparin and keratansulphate, respectively. The conditions in which this principle can be used in a practical technique are described.
- Antonopoulos, C. A., B. Borelius, S. Gardell, B. Hamnström, and J. E. Scott: The Precipitation of Polyanions by Long-chain Aliphatic Ammonium Compounds. Pt. IV. Elution in Salt Solutions of Mucopolysaccharide-Quaternary Ammonium Complexes adsorbed on a Support. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 54, 213–226 (1961).
- Booij, H. L.: Colloid Chemical Aspects of Metachromasia. Acta histochem. (Jena), Suppl. 1, 37–55 (1958).
- Heath, I. D.: Staining of Sulphated Mucopolysaccharides. Nature (Lond.) 191, 1370–1371 (1961).
- Jeanloz, R. W.: The Nomenclature of Mucopolysaccharides. Artrh. and Rheum. 3, 233–237 (1960).
- Kelly, J. W., G. D. Bloom, and J. E. Scott: Quaternary Ammonium Compounds in Connective Tissue Histochemistry. I. Selective Unblocking. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 11, 791–798 (1963).
- Landing, H. B., and H. B. Hall: Phosphorylation as a Histochemical Procedure. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 4, 382–387 (1956).
- Landsmeer, J. M. F.: Some colloid Chemical Aspects of Metachromasia. Influence of pH and Salts on Metachromatic Phenomena evoked by Toluidine Blue in Animal Tissue. Acta physiol. pharmacol. neerl. 2, 112–128 (1951).
- Laurent, T. C., and A. Anseth: Studies on Corneal Polysaccharides. II. Characterisation. Exp. Eye Res. 1, 99–105 (1961).
- —, and J. E. Scott: Molecular Weight Fractionation of Polyanions by Cetylpyridinium Chloride in Salt Solutions. Nature (Lond.) 202, 661–662 (1964).
- Mowry, R. W.: Observations on the Use of Sulphuric Acid in Ether for the Sulphation of Hydroxyl Groups in Tissue Sections. J. Histochem. Cytochem. (Abstract) 6, 82 (1958).
- Quintarelli, G., J. E. Scott, and M. C. Dellovo: Chemical and Histochemical Properties of Alcian Blue, III. Chemical Blocking and Unblocking. Histochemie 4, 99–112 (1964).
- Sainte-Marie, G.: A Paraffin Embedding Technique for Studies employing Immunofluorescence. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 10, 250–254 (1962).
- Saunders, A. M.: Histochemical Identification of Acid Mucopolysaccharides with Acridine Orange. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 12, 164–170 (1964).
- Scott, J. E.: Aliphatic Ammonium Salts in the Assay of Acidic Polysaccharides from Tissues. Methods of Biochemical Analysis (ed. D. Glick), vol. 8, p. 145–197. New York: Interscience Publ. 1960.
- - The Fractionation of Polyanions by Long-chain Aliphatic Ammonium Salts. Biochem. J. 78, 24 P (1961).
- —: The Precipitation of Polyanions by Long-chain Aliphatic Ammonium Salts, part VI. The Affinity of Substituted Ammon Cations for the Anionic Groups of some Biological Polymers. Biochem. J. 84, 270–275 (1962).
- Scott, J. E., J. Dorling, and G. Quintarelli: Differential Staining of Acid Glycosaminoglycans by Alcian Blue in Salt Solutions. Biochem. J. 90, 4–5 P (1964).
- Shackleford, J. M.: Carboxylation of Tissue Sections with the Use of p-Hydrazinbenzoio Acid and Succinic Anhydride. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 10, 469–472 (1962).
- Szirmai, J. A.: Quantitative Approaches in the histochemistry of Mucopolysaccharides. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 11, 24–34 (1963).
- Differential staining of acid glycosaminoglycans (mucopolysaccharides) by Alcian blue in salt solutions
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 221-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors