Side-scan sonar mapping and computer-aided interpretation in the Santa Barbara Channel, California
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have experimented with digital processing of side scan sonar data taken in a 14 sq-km area of continental shelf offshore Southern California. The data were FM tape recorded during the survey and digitized and processed later in the laboratory. The digital image processing included both image correction and image enhancement. Geometric corrections were applied to correct for image distortions due to variable ship position and speed and sonar slant range. Enhancements that were tried included contrast stretching, band-pass filtering, image restoration (inverse filtering), and various edge enhancements such as density slicing and standard deviation filters. Interpretive procedures were also attempted and included digital mosaicking, stereoscopic viewing, and falsecolor display. The most effective processing was geometric correction combined with contrast stretching. Mosaicking proved difficult due to imprecise navigation (±50 m), but was very effective in increasing the understanding of the geologic structure in the survey area.
- BeldersonR. H., KenyonN. H., StrideA. H., and StubbsA. R.: 1972, Sonographs of the Seafloor, American Elsevier Publishing Co., New York, pp. 1–6.
- Berkson, J. M. and Clay, C. S.: 1973, Transformation of Sonar Records to a Linear Display, International Hydrographic Review. Contribution No. 292 of the Geophysical and Polar Research Center. Dept. of Geology and Geophysics. University of Wisconsin. 55–59.
- Clerici, E.: 1977, ‘Über die Anwendbarkeit von Side Scan Sonar zur Erstellung von Topographischen Karten des Meerlsbodens’, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Hanover. 42–62.
- Clerici, E.: 1978, Evaluation of Relative Effectiveness of some Image Processing Techniques Applied to Side Scan Sonar Data, U.S.-Australia Workshop on Image Processing Techniques for Remote Sensing. Canberra, Australia. May. 1–10.
- CliffordP.: 1979, ‘Real Time Seafloor Mapping’, Sea Technology 20, 22–26.
- DenbighP. N.: 1978, ‘Stereoscopic Side-Scan Sonar’, Acous. Letters 2, 108–112.
- Greene, H. G., Wolf, S. C., and Blom, K. G.: 1978, The Marine Geology of the Eastern Santa Barbara Channel with Particular Emphasis on the Ground Water Basins Offshore from the Oxnard Plain, Southern California, U.S. Geol. Survey Open File Report 78-305.
- Hajic, E. J.: 1980, ‘Digital Processing of Side Scan Sonar Imagery for Mapping the Anacapa Passage Seafloor in the Santa Barbara Channel’, Unpub. M.A. thesis, Univ. California, Santa Barbara, 172 pp.
- InghamA. E. (ed.): 1975, Sea Surveying, Vol. 1: text, 306 pp; Vol. 2; illustrations, 233 pp. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- JungerA.: 1979, Maps and Seismic Profiles Showing Geologic Structure of the Northern Channel Islands Platform, Continental Borderland, California: U.S. Geol. Survey, Misc. Field Studies MFS-991.
- LeeHenry E.: 1979, ‘Extension of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Technique to Undersea Application’, IEEE Journal on Ocean Engineering Vol. OE-4, No. 2, April, pp. 60–63.
- Luyendyk, B. P., Hajic, E. J., and Simonett, D. S.: 1978, ‘Image Enhancement in Side-Scan Sonar Mapping (Abstract)’, in Proceedings, 12th Internat. Symp. on Remote Sensing of Environment, Manila, Philippines, April 20–26, 1978, p. 119.
- MudieJ., NormarkW., CrayE.: 1970, ‘Direct Mapping of the Sea-floor Using Side-Scanning Sonar and Transponder Navigation’, Geol. Soc. Am. Bull. 81, 1547–1554.
- NarendraP. M.: 1981, ‘A Separable Median Filter for Image Noise Smoothing’, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. PAMI-3, No. 1. January, pp. 20–29.
- PaceNicholas G. and DyerCatherine M.: 1979, ‘Machine Classification of Sedimentary Sea Bottoms’, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience Electronics, Vol. GE-17, No. 3, pp. 52–56.
- Paluzzi, P.: 1976, Analysis of Imagery for Marine Resource Exploration, Proceedings Caltech/JPL Conference on Image Processing Technology, Data Sources and Software for Commercial and Scientific Applications, California Institute of Technology, JPL SP 43-40, Pasadena, November 3–5, p. 12-1 to 12-9.
- Paluzzi, P., Normark, W., Hess, G., Hess, H., and Cruckshank, M.: 1976, Computer Image Processing in Marine Resource Exploration, Proceedings for Joint IEEE-MTS Oceans '76 Conference, Washington, D.C., September 13–15, 4D-1 to 4D-10.
- PriorDavid B., ColemanJames M., and GarrisonLouis E.: 1979, ‘Digitally Acquired Undistorted Side-Scan Sonar Images of Submarine Landslides, Mississippi River Delta’, Geology 7, 423–425.
- SandersJ. E., EmergyK. O., and UchupiE.: 1969, ‘Microphotography of Five Small Areas of the Continental Shelf by Side-Scanning Sonar’, Geol. Soc. Am. Bull. 80, 561–572.
- WalkerC. D. T.: 1978, ‘Development of a Ground Speed Corrected Side-Scan Sonar Display System’, Ultrasonics 16, 108–110.
- Side-scan sonar mapping and computer-aided interpretation in the Santa Barbara Channel, California
Marine Geophysical Researches
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 365-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geological Sciences, University of California, 93106, Santa Barbara, California, USA
- 2. Department of Geography, University of California, 93106, Santa Barbara, California, USA
- 3. Marine Science Institute, University of California, 93106, Santa Barbara, California, USA