Characterization and mapping of three new mammalian ATP-binding transporter genes from an EST database
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Analysis of the human expressed sequence tag (EST) database identified four clones that contain sequences of previously uncharacterized genes, members of the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) superfamily. Two new ABC genes (EST20237, 31252) are located at Chromosome (Chr) 1q42 and 1q25 respectively in humans, as determined by FISH; at locations distinct from previously mapped genes of this superfamily. Two additional clones, EST 600 and EST 1596, were found to represent different ATP-binding domains of the same gene, ABC2. This gene was localized to 9q34 in humans by FISH and to the proximal region of Chr 2 in mice by linkage analysis. All genes display extensive diversity in sequence and expression pattern. We present several approaches to characterizing EST clones and demonstrate that the analysis of EST clones from different tissues is a powerful approach to identify new members of important gene families. Some drawbacks of using EST databases, including chimerism of cDNA clones, are discussed.
- Adams, M.D., Kerlavage, A.R., Fields, C., Venter, J.C. (1993). 3,400 new expressed sequence tags identify diversity of transcripts in human brain. Nature Genet. 4, 256–267.
- Altschul, S.F., Gish, W., Miller, W., Myers, E.W., Lipman, D.J. (1990). Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215, 403–410.
- Ames, G.F.-L., Lecar, H. (1992). ATP-dependent bacterial transporters and cystic fibrosis: analogy between channels and transporters. FASEB J 6, 2660–2666.
- Boguski, M.S., Lowe, T.M.J., Tolstoshev, C.M. (1993). The EST express gathers speed. Nature Genet. 4, 331–332.
- Copeland, N.G., Jenkins, N.A. (1991). Development and applications of a molecular genetic linkage map of the mouse genome. Trends Genet. 7, 113–118.
- Devereaux, J., Haeberli, P., Smithies, O. (1984). A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX. Nucleic Acids Res. 12, 387–395.
- Feng, D-F., Doolittle, R.F. (1987). A multiple sequence alignment using a simplification of the progressive alignment method. J. Mol. Evol. 35, 351–360.
- Franco del Amo, F., Gendron-Maguire, M., Swiatek, P.J., Jenkins, N.A., Copeland, N.G., Gridley, T. (1993). Cloning, analysis, and chromosomal localization of Notch-1, a mouse homolog of Drosophila Notch. Genomics 15, 259–264.
- Grausz, J.D., Auffray, C. (1993). Strategies in cDNA programs. Genomics 17, 530–532.
- Green, E.L. (1981). Linkage, recombination and mapping. In Genetics and Probability in Animal Breeding Experiments, ed. (New York: Oxford University Press), pp. 77–113.
- Gros, P., Croop, J., Housman, D. (1986). Mammalian multidrug resistance gene: complete cDNA sequence indicates strong homology to bacterial transport proteins. Cell 47, 317–380.
- Higgins, C.F. (1992). ABC transporters: from micro-organisms to man. Annu. Rev. Cell Biol. 8, 67–113.
- Jenkins, N.A., Copeland, N.G., Taylor, B.A., Lee, B.K. (1982). Organization, distribution, and stability of endogenous ecotropic murine leukemia virus DNA sequences in chromosomes of Mus musculus. J. Virol. 43, 26–36.
- Lincoln, A.L., Daly, M., Lander, E. (1991). PRIMER: a computer program for automatically selecting PCR primers. Whitehead Institute Technical Report. MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Luciani, M.F., Denizot, F., Savary, S., Mattei, M.G., Chimini, G. (1994). Cloning of two novel ABC transporters mapping on human chromosome 9. Genomics 21, 150–159.
- Mosser, J. (1993). Putative X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy gene shares unexpected homology with ABC transporters. Nature 361, 726–730.
- Riordan, J.R., Rommens, J.M., Kerem, B.-S., Alon, N., Rozmahel, R., Grzelczak, Z., Zielenski, J., Lok, S., Plavsic, N., Chou, J.-L., Drumm, M.L., Iannuzzi, M.C., Collins, F.S., Tsui, L.-C. (1989). Identification of the cystic fibrosis gene: cloning and characterization of the complementary DNA. Science 245, 1066–1073.
- Spies, T., Bresnahan, M., Bahram, S., Arnold, D., Blanck, G., Mellins, E., Pious, D., DeMars, R. (1990). A gene in the human major histocompatibility complex class II region controlling the class I antigen presentation pathway. Nature 348, 744–747.
- Takeda, J., Yano, H., Eng, S., Zeng, Y., Bell, G.I. (1993). A molecular inventory of human pancreatic islets: sequence analysis of 1000 cDNA clones. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2, 1793–1798.
- Vailly, J., Verrando, P., Champliaud, M.-F., Gerecke, D., Wagman, D.W., Baudoin, C., Aberdam, D., Burgeson, R., Bauer, E., Ortonne, J.-P. (1994). The 100-kDa chain of nicein/kalinin is a laminin B2 chain variant. Eur. J. Biochem. 219, 209–218.
- Characterization and mapping of three new mammalian ATP-binding transporter genes from an EST database
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 114-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Viral Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Building 560, Room 21-19, 21702-1201, Frederick, Maryland, USA
- 2. Biological Carcinogenesis and Development Program, Program Resources, Inc./DynCorp, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, 21702-1201, Frederick, Maryland, USA
- 3. Mammalian Genetics Laboratory, ABL-Basic Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, 21702-1201, Frederick, Maryland, USA