Polymerization of aqueous lactic acid to prepare high molecular weight poly(lactic acid) by chain-extending with hexamethylene diisocyanate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In order to synthesize the high molecular weight poly(lactic acid) [PLA], Hexamethylene diisocyanate [HDI] was used as a chain extender connecting the terminal group of polymers. Poly(lactic acid) of high molecular weight, 76000 (MW) and 33000 (Mn), was obtained by using antimony trioxide catalyst after chain-extending with HDI. Without chain-extending, the molecular weight of PLA was about 7000 (Mn). Tm in the 2nd-scan DSC thermogram was not found when PLA was chain-extended with HDI. In order to check the degree of crystallization of polymers, annealing of these polymers was carried out at 120 °C. Peaks of XRD (X-Ray Diffraction) were sharpened as the duration of annealing was lengthened. The analysis of polymers reacted with HDI by 1H-NMR showed the broad peaks at 1.32 and 3.14 ppm assigned to HDI units. The molecular weight of polymers increased with the increase in the mole ratio of-NCO/-OH.
- P. Vanhoorne, Ph. Dubois, R. Jerome, and Ph. Teyssie(1992), Macromolecules, 25:37.
- H. R. Kricheldorf, M. Berl, and N. Scharnagl(1988), Macromolecules, 21:286.
- H. Fukuzaki, M. Yoshida, M. Asano, and M. Kumakura(1989), Eur. Polym. J., 25(10):1019.
- Ph. Dubois, C. Jacobs, R. Jerome, Ph. Teyssie(1991), Macromolecules, 24: 2266.
- V.V. Korshak and V.V. Vasnev, in G. Allen, J.C. Bevington, G.C. Eastmond eds.(1989), “Comprehensive Polymer Sci.” Vol.5, pp.132–133, Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- F. Rodriguez(1989), “Principles of polymer system, pp.518, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, New York Washington Philadelphia London.
- W. Grijpma, G. J. Zondervan, Pennings(1991), Polymer Bulletin, 25:327.
- Z. Jedlinski, W. Watach(1991), Makromol. Chem. 192:2051.
- Hori, M. Suzuki, Y. Okeda, T. Imai, M. Sakaguchi, Y. Takahashi, A. Yamaguchi, S. Akutagawa(1992), Macromolecules, 25:5117.
- Polymerization of aqueous lactic acid to prepare high molecular weight poly(lactic acid) by chain-extending with hexamethylene diisocyanate
Volume 35, Issue 4 , pp 415-421
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors