Individuation and the semantics of demonstratives
- Martin Davies
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Obsessed by the cases where things go wrong, we pay too little attention to the vastly more numerous cases where they go right, and where it is perhaps easier to see that the descriptive content of the expression concerned is wholly at the service of this function [of identifying reference], a function which is complementary to that of predication and contains no element of predication in itself (Strawson , p. 66).
An earlier version of the paper was written during an enjoyable year spent as a Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne.
- BurgeT.: 1977, ‘Belief De Re’, Journal of Philosophy 74, 338–362.
- Evans, G.: 1981, ‘Understanding Demonstratives’, in H. Parret and J. Bouveresse (eds.), Meaning and Understanding, de Gruyter, pp. 280–303.
- Kaplan, D.: 1977, Demonstratives, Draft #2, mimeo, UCLA.
- McGinn, C.: 1982, ‘The Structure of Content’, in A. Woodfield (ed.) Thought and Object, Oxford University Press, pp. 207–258.
- PeacockeC.: 1981, ‘Demonstrative Thought and Psychological Explanation’, Synthese 49, 187–217.
- PerryJ.: 1977, ‘Frege on Demonstratives’, Philosophical Review 86, 474–497.
- PerryJ.: 1979, ‘The Problem of the Essential Indexical’, Noûs 13, 3–21.
- Perry, J.: 1980a, ‘Belief and Acceptance’, in P. A. French, et al. (eds.) Midwest Studies in Philosophy Volume V: Studies in Epistemology, University of Minnesota Press, pp. 533–542.
- PerryJ.: 1980b, ‘A Problem About Continued Belief’, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 61, 317–332.
- Perry, J.: 1982, ‘Perception, Action, and the Structure of Believing’, to appear in a Festschrift for Paul Grice edited by Richard Grandy and Richard Warner.
- Quine, W. V. O.: 1974, The Roots of Reference, Open Court.
- SchifferS.: 1981, ‘Indexicals and the Theory of Reference’, Synthese 49, 43–100.
- Strawson, P. F.: 1959, Individuals, Methuen.
- Strawson, P. F.: 1974, Subject and Predicate in Logic and Grammar, Methuen.
- Taylor, B.: 1980, ‘Truth-theory for Indexical Languages’, in M. Platts (ed.) Reference, Truth and Reality, Routledge & Kegan Paul, pp. 182–198.
- WeinsteinS.: 1974, ‘Truth and Demonstratives’, Noûs 8, 179–184.
- Wiggins, D.: 1980, Sameness and Substance, Blackwell.
- Individuation and the semantics of demonstratives
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 287-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Martin Davies (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Birkbeck College, University of London, England