Attitudes toward sex-roles: Traditional or egalitarian?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article reports on the development of a Likert-type scale measuring attitudes toward egalitarian-traditional sex roles. A total of 484 undergraduates participated in six phases of the study. An item analysis study yielded 20 items with part-whole correlations <.48. The corrected split-half reliability coefficient is .91 (p≤.001). Five other phases of research show promising concurrent and construct validity. In particular, traditional attitudes are related to rigidity as measured by authoritarian, religious, same-sex touching, rape acceptance, divorce, and conservative attitudes. Overall, a varimax rotated factor analysis revealed one major factor accounting for 84.6% of the variance. Further, females were shown to have higher levels of egalitarian attitudes as compared to males.
- Adorno, T. W., Frenkel-Brunswik, E., Levinson, D. J., Sanford, R. N. (1950) The authoritarian personality. Harper, New York
- Allen, I. L. (1984) Male sex roles and epithets for ethnic women in American slang. Sex Roles 11: pp. 43-50
- Brogan, D., Kutner, N. G. (1976) Measuring sex-role orientation: A normative approach. Journal of Marriage and the Family 38: pp. 31-40
- Burt, M. R. (1980) Cultural myths and supports for rape. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 38: pp. 217-230
- Dunn, M. S. (1979) Marriage role expectation inventory. Women and Women's Issues 10: pp. 220-222
- Edwards, A. L. (1941) Unlabeled fascist attitudes. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 36: pp. 579-582
- Edwards, A. L. (1957) Techniques for attitude scale construction. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York
- Field, H. S. (1978) Attitudes toward rape: A comparative analysis of police, rapists, crisis counselors, and citizens. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 36: pp. 156-179
- Galambos, N. L., Petersen, A. C., Richards, M., Gitelson, I. B. (1985) The Attitudes toward Women Scale for Adolescents (AWSA): A study of reliability and validity. Sex Roles 13: pp. 343-356
- Gerdes, E. P., Gehling, J. D., Rapp, J. N. (1981) The effects of sex and sex-role concept on self-disclosure. Sex Roles 7: pp. 989-998
- Haaviolo-Mannilo, E. (1972) Sex-role attitude. Journal of Social Issues 28: pp. 93-107
- Halas, C. (1974) Sex-role stereotypes: Perceived childhood socialization experiences and the attitudes and behavior of adult women. Journal of Psychology 88: pp. 261-275
- Hardy, K. R. (1957) Determinants of conformity and attitude change. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 54: pp. 289-294
- Harrison, B. G., Guy, R. F., Lupfer, S. L. (1981) Locus of control and self-esteem as correlated to role orientation in traditional and nontraditional women. Sex Roles 7: pp. 1175-1187
- Kalin, R., Tilby, P. J. (1978) Development and validation of a sex-role ideology scale. Psychological Reports 42: pp. 731-738
- Katz, D., Stotland, E. A. A preliminary statement to theory of attitude structure and change. In: Koch, S. eds. (1959) Psychology: A study of science. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Kerr, W. A. (1946) Liberal and conservative manual of instructions. Psychometric Affiliates, Inc., Chicago, IL
- King, E. C. (1979) King Egalitarian Perception Scale. Women and Women's Issues X: pp. 228-230
- Krause, N. (1983) Conflicting sex-role expectations, housework dissatisfaction, and depressive symptoms among full-time housewives. Sex Roles 9: pp. 1115-1125
- Lane, R. (1955) Four-item I scale in “Political Personality and Electoral Choice.”. American Political Science Review 49: pp. 173-190
- Larsen, K. S., Roux, J. (1984) A study of same-sex touching attitudes: Scale development and personality predictors. The Journal of Sex Research 20: pp. 264-278
- Lewis, E. (1968) Developing women's potential. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA
- Mahoney, J. (1975) An analysis of the exiological structures of traditional and pro-liberation men and women. Journal of Psychology 90: pp. 31-39
- Marke, S., Gottfries, I. (1979) Sex-role scales 1 and 2. Women and Women's Issues 10: pp. 223-225
- O'Keefe, B. Attitudes toward women's liberation: Relationship between cooperation, competition, personality and demographic variables. Dissertation Abstracts International, 1972, 33, 1293B.
- Parelius, A. (1975) Emerging sex-role attitudes, expectations and strains among college women. Journal of Marriage and the Family 37: pp. 146-153
- Putney, S., Middleton, R. (1961) Dimensions and correlates of religious ideologies. Social Forces 39: pp. 285-290
- Reis, H. T., Wright, S. (1982) Knowledge of sex-role stereotypes in children aged 3 to 5. Sex Roles 8: pp. 1049-1056
- Robinson, E. A., Follingstad, D. R. (1985) Development and validation of a behavioral sex-role inventory. Sex Roles 13: pp. 691-707
- Rokeach, M. (1960) The open and closed mind. Basic Books, New York
- Rotter, N. G., O'Connell, A. N. (1982) The relationship among sex-role orientation, cognitive complexity, and tolerance for ambiguity. Sex Roles 8: pp. 1209-1220
- Secord, P. F., Backman, C. W. (1964) Social psychology. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Shaw, M. E., Wright, J. M. (1967) Scales for the measurement of attitudes. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York
- Singleton, R., Christiansen, J. B. (1977) The construct validation of a short form attitudes toward feminism scale. Sociology and Social Research 61: pp. 294-303
- Smith, E., Ferree, M., Miller, F. A. (1975) Short scale of attitudes toward feminism. Representative Research in Social Psychology 6: pp. 51-56
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. The Attitudes toward Women Scale: An objective instrument to measure attitudes toward the rights and roles of women in contemporary society. JSAS Catalogue of Selected Documents in Psychology, 1972, 2(66) (Ms. no. 153).
- Stoloff, C. (1973) Who joins women's liberation?. Psychiatry 36: pp. 325-340
- Stouffer, S. A. (1955) Communism, civil liberties, and conformity. Doubleday, Garden City, NY
- Tiedman, D. Career development of women: Some propositions. In: David, D. eds. (1959) The education of women. American Council on Education, Washington, D.C.
- Triandis, H. C. (1971) Attitude and attitude change. Wiley, New York
- Wilke, W. H. An experimental comparison of the speech, the radio, and the printed page as propaganda devices. Archives of Psychology, 1934, No. 169.
- Zuckerman, D. M. (1981) Family background, sex-role attitudes, and life goals of technical college and university students. Sex Roles 7: pp. 1107-1126
- Attitudes toward sex-roles: Traditional or egalitarian?
Volume 19, Issue 1-2 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors