Attitudes toward sex-roles: Traditional or egalitarian?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article reports on the development of a Likert-type scale measuring attitudes toward egalitarian-traditional sex roles. A total of 484 undergraduates participated in six phases of the study. An item analysis study yielded 20 items with part-whole correlations <.48. The corrected split-half reliability coefficient is .91 (p≤.001). Five other phases of research show promising concurrent and construct validity. In particular, traditional attitudes are related to rigidity as measured by authoritarian, religious, same-sex touching, rape acceptance, divorce, and conservative attitudes. Overall, a varimax rotated factor analysis revealed one major factor accounting for 84.6% of the variance. Further, females were shown to have higher levels of egalitarian attitudes as compared to males.
- Adorno, T. W., Frenkel-Brunswik, E., Levinson, D. J., & Sanford, R. N. The authoritarian personality, New York: Harper, 1950.
- Allen, I. L. Male sex roles and epithets for ethnic women in American slang. Sex Roles, 1984, 11(1/2), 43–50.
- Brogan, D., & Kutner, N. G. Measuring sex-role orientation: A normative approach. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1976, 38(1), 31–40.
- Burt, M. R. Cultural myths and supports for rape. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1980, 38(2), 217–230.
- Dunn, M. S., Marriage role expectation inventory. Women and Women's Issues, 1979, 10, 220–222.
- Edwards, A. L. Unlabeled fascist attitudes. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1941, 36, 579–582.
- Edwards, A. L. Techniques for attitude scale construction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1957.
- Field, H. S. Attitudes toward rape: A comparative analysis of police, rapists, crisis counselors, and citizens. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1978, 36, 156–179.
- Galambos, N. L., Petersen, A. C., Richards, M., and Gitelson, I. B. The Attitudes toward Women Scale for Adolescents (AWSA): A study of reliability and validity. Sex Roles, 1985, 13(5/6), 343–356.
- Gerdes, E. P., Gehling, J. D., & Rapp, J. N. The effects of sex and sex-role concept on self-disclosure. Sex Roles, 1981, 7(10), 989–998.
- Haaviolo-Mannilo, E. Sex-role attitude. Journal of Social Issues, 1972, 28(2), 93–107.
- Halas, C. Sex-role stereotypes: Perceived childhood socialization experiences and the attitudes and behavior of adult women. Journal of Psychology, 1974, 88, 261–275.
- Hardy, K. R. Determinants of conformity and attitude change. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1957, 54, 289–294.
- Harrison, B. G., Guy, R. F., & Lupfer, S. L. Locus of control and self-esteem as correlated to role orientation in traditional and nontraditional women. Sex Roles, 1981, 7(12), 1175–1187.
- Kalin, R., & Tilby, P. J. (1978). Development and validation of a sex-role ideology scale. Psychological Reports, 1978, 42, 731–738.
- Katz, D., & Stotland, E. A. A preliminary statement to theory of attitude structure and change. In S. Koch (Ed.), Psychology: A study of science. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1959.
- Kerr, W. A. Liberal and conservative manual of instructions. Chicago, IL: Psychometric Affiliates, Inc., 1946.
- King, E. C. King Egalitarian Perception Scale. Women and Women's Issues, 1979, X, 228–230.
- Krause, N. Conflicting sex-role expectations, housework dissatisfaction, and depressive symptoms among full-time housewives. Sex Roles, 1983, 9(11), 1115–1125.
- Lane, R. Four-item I scale in “Political Personality and Electoral Choice.” American Political Science Review, 1955, 49, 173–190.
- Larsen, K. S., & Le Roux, J. A study of same-sex touching attitudes: Scale development and personality predictors. The Journal of Sex Research, 1984, 20(3), 264–278.
- Lewis, E. Developing women's potential. Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press, 1968.
- Mahoney, J. An analysis of the exiological structures of traditional and pro-liberation men and women. Journal of Psychology, 1975, 90, 31–39.
- Marke, S., & Gottfries, I. Sex-role scales 1 and 2. Women and Women's Issues, 1979, 10, 223–225.
- O'Keefe, B. Attitudes toward women's liberation: Relationship between cooperation, competition, personality and demographic variables. Dissertation Abstracts International, 1972, 33, 1293B.
- Parelius, A. Emerging sex-role attitudes, expectations and strains among college women. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1975, 37, 146–153.
- Putney, S., & Middleton, R. Dimensions and correlates of religious ideologies. Social Forces, 1961, 39, 285–290.
- Reis, H. T., & Wright, S. Knowledge of sex-role stereotypes in children aged 3 to 5. Sex Roles, 1982, 8(10), 1049–1056.
- Robinson, E. A., & Follingstad, D. R. Development and validation of a behavioral sex-role inventory. Sex Roles, 1985, 13(11/12), 691–707.
- Rokeach, M. The open and closed mind. New York: Basic Books, 1960.
- Rotter, N. G., & O'Connell, A. N. The relationship among sex-role orientation, cognitive complexity, and tolerance for ambiguity. Sex Roles, 1982, 8(12), 1209–1220.
- Secord, P. F., & Backman, C. W. Social psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- Shaw, M. E., & Wright, J. M. Scales for the measurement of attitudes. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1967.
- Singleton, R., & Christiansen, J. B. The construct validation of a short form attitudes toward feminism scale. Sociology and Social Research, 1977, 61, 294–303.
- Smith, E., Ferree, M., & Miller, F. A. Short scale of attitudes toward feminism. Representative Research in Social Psychology, 1975, 6, 51–56.
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. The Attitudes toward Women Scale: An objective instrument to measure attitudes toward the rights and roles of women in contemporary society. JSAS Catalogue of Selected Documents in Psychology, 1972, 2(66) (Ms. no. 153).
- Stoloff, C. Who joins women's liberation? Psychiatry, 1973, 36, 325–340.
- Stouffer, S. A. Communism, civil liberties, and conformity. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1955.
- Tiedman, D. Career development of women: Some propositions. In D. David (Ed.), The education of women. Washington, D.C.: American Council on Education, 1959.
- Triandis, H. C. Attitude and attitude change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Wilke, W. H. An experimental comparison of the speech, the radio, and the printed page as propaganda devices. Archives of Psychology, 1934, No. 169.
- Zuckerman, D. M. Family background, sex-role attitudes, and life goals of technical college and university students. Sex Roles, 1981, 7(11), 1107–1126.
- Attitudes toward sex-roles: Traditional or egalitarian?
Volume 19, Issue 1-2 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors