Level of development of a country: A possible new approach
- Krishna Mazumdar
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Human development is a multidimensional phenomenon. It depends on a number of non-monetary aspects of life (social indicators of development). Per capita gross domestic product (PCGDP) is a means to achieve these nonmonetary aspects of life. To what extent PCGDP of a country is transformed into social development is an important phenomenon. Income elasticities of social indicators with respect to PCGDP reflect such relationship. This study attempts to find income elasticities of eight social indicators of development with respect to per capita real gross domestic product (PCRGDP) adjusted for purchasing power parity and expressed in international dollars for four points of time: 1960, 1970, 1980 and 1990. The income elasticities of social indicators may be identified as necessity, luxury and inferior. On the basis of the nature of the income elasticities of the social indicators of development the level of development of a country may be identified. This paper attempts to identify the level of development of a country on the basis of the nature of the income elasticities of the social indicators of development.
- Aitchison, J. and J. A. C. Brown: 19XX, ‘A synthesis of Engel curve theory’, Review of Economic Studies 22.
- Bhattacharya, N., ‘Studies on consumer behaviour in India’ in Survey of Research in Economics VI, ICSSR.
- Goldberger, A. S. and T. Gamaletsos: 1970, ‘A cross country comparison of consumer expenditure patterns’, European Economic Review 1, 1970.
- Hicks, N. L. and Paul Streeten: 19XX, ‘Indicators of development: The search for a basic needs yard stick’, World Development 7, pp. 567–580.
- Houthakker, H. S.: 19XX, ‘Compensated changes in quantities and qualities consumed’, Review of Economic Studies 19, 1951–52.
- Knox, F.: 1959, ‘Some international comparisons of consumers' durable goods’, Bulletin of the Oxford Institute Statistics, 21.
- Summer, R. and A. W. Heston: 1988, ‘A new set of international comparisons of real product and price levels: Estimates for 130 countries 1950–1985’, Review of Income and Wealth, 34.
- Summer, R. and A. W. Heston, ‘Improved international comparisons of real product and its comparisons 1950–1977’, Review of Income and Wealth 30, 1984.
- World Bank, Human Development Reports, different issues.
- World Bank, World Tables, different issues.
- World Bank, World Development Reports, different issues.
- Level of development of a country: A possible new approach
Social Indicators Research
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 245-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Krishna Mazumdar (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Economic Research Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, 700 035, Calcutta, India