The influence of sex-role expectations on the perception of touch
- Carie Forden
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Eighty-seven male and female university students were shown one of three videotapes of a male and a female having a conversation. The three videotapes were identical, except for the beginning and end, where in one condition the male touched the female on the shoulder, in another the female touched the male, in the last neither touched. After they had watched a videotape, subjects were asked to rate the male and the female on 17 descriptive adjectives. Touch condition significantly changed ratings on two clusters of adjectives: the “dominant” cluster for the female; and the “passive” cluster for the male. The female was seen as most “dominant” (stereotypically male) when she touched, the male as most “passive” (stereotypically female) when he was touched. These results are discussed in terms of Henley's (1977) theory of touch as a power symbol.
- Broverman, I. K., Vogel, S. R., Broverman, D. M., Clarkson, F. E., & Rosenkrantz, P. S. Sex role stereotypes: A current appraisal. Journal of Social Issues, 1972, 28(2), 59–78.
- Fisher, J. D., Rytting, M., & Heslin, R. Hands touching hands: Affective and evaluative effects of an interpersonal touch. Sociometry, 1976, 39(4), 416–421.
- Frank, L. K. Tactile communication. In A. G. Smith (Ed.), Communication and culture. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1966.
- Henley, N. Body politics. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1977.
- Kleinke, C. L., Meeker, F. B., & La Fong, C. Effects of gaze, touch and use of name on evaluation of “engaged couples.” Journal of Research in Personality, 1974, 7, 368–373.
- Montagu, A. Touching: The human significance of the skin. New York: Columbia University Press, 1971.
- Nguyen, T., Heslin, R., & Nguyen, M. L. The meanings of touch: Sex differences. Journal of Communication, 1975, 25(3), 92–105.
- The influence of sex-role expectations on the perception of touch
Volume 7, Issue 9 , pp 889-894
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Carie Forden (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA