The effect of romantic and nonromantic films on perception of female friendly and seductive behavior
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two experiments investigating gender differences in perception of nonverbal seductive and friendly cues were conducted using standardized videotaped interactions. Results of the first experiment indicated no gender differences in perceptions, contradicting previous results obtained by Abbey (“Sex Differences in Attributions for Friendly Behavior: Do Males Misperceive Females' Friendliness?” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1982, 42, 830–838), who used a nonstandardized interaction. Results of the second experiment indicated that exposure to romantic and nonromantic scenarios in the media may produce contrast effects primarily affecting male interpretation of female nonverbal cues.
- Abbey, A. Sex differences in attributions for friendly behavior: Do males misperceive females' friendliness? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1982, 42, 830–838.
- Baron, R. A., & Byrne, D. Social psychology: Understanding human interaction, 5th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1987.
- Glaser, R. D., & Thorpe, J. S. A Survey of sexual contract and advances between psychology educators and female graduate students. American Psychologist, 1986, 41, 43–51.
- Johnson, C. B., Freshnock, N., & Saal, F. E. Friendliness or sexual come-on: A clue to under-standing sexual harassment. Paper presented at the annual concention of the American Psychological Association, 1986.
- Kenrick, D. T., & Gutierres, S. E. Contrast effects and judgments of physical attractiveness: When beauty becomes a social problem. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1980, 37, 572–579.
- Przybyla, D. P. J. The facilitating effects of exposure to erotica on males prosocial behavior. Unpublished doctoral assertation, State University of New York at Albany, 1985.
- Reilly, T., Carpenter, S., Dull, V., & Bartlett, K. The factorial survey: An approach to defining sexual harassment on campus. Journal of Social Issues, 1982, 38, 99–110.
- Saal, F. E. Males' misperception of females' friendliness: Replication and extension. Paper presented at the convention of the Midwestern Psychological Association, 1986.
- Sigal, J., Gibbs, M., Fox, M., Auerbach, D., & Novaky, D. Campus sexual harassment: Victims, harassers and victim-harassers. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York City, 1986.
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. L. Masculinity and femininity: Their psychological dimensions, correlates, and antecedents. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1978.
- Zillmann, D. Excitation transfer in communication mediated aggressive. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 1971, 7, 419–434.
- The effect of romantic and nonromantic films on perception of female friendly and seductive behavior
Volume 19, Issue 9-10 , pp 545-554
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors