Adolescents' attitudes toward family and gender roles: An international comparison
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Adolescents' attitudes toward gender and familial roles were examined using the Attitudes Toward Women Scale for Adolescents [N. L. Galambos, A. C. Petersen, M. Richards, & I. B. Gitelson (1985) “The Attitudes Toward Women Scale for Adolescents (AWSA): A Study of Reliability and Validity,” Sex Roles, Vol. 5/6, pp. 343–356] and the Historic-Sociocultural Premises scale [R. Díaz-Guerrero (1975) Psychology of the Mexican: Culture and Personality, Austin: University of Texas Press]. Participants were 265 international students (11 to 17 years of age) from 46 different countries attending schools in the Netherlands. The countries of origin were grouped into two categories of cultural values based on G. Hofstede [(1983) “Dimensions of National Cultures in Fifty Countries and Three Regions,” in J. B. Deregowski, S. Dziursawiec, & R. C. Annis (Eds.), Expiscations in Cross-Cultural Psychology, Lisse Netherlands: Swets & Zeitlinger]: Wealthier, more individualistic countries comprised Group 1 and less wealthy, more collectivist countries Group 2. Girls responded less traditionally than did boys on both scales. Students from Group 2 countries had more traditional attitudes than did students from Group 1 countries.
- Basow, S. A. (1982). Cross-cultural patterns in achievement orientation: Ethnic group and sex comparisons in Fiji. In R. A. A. Steward (Ed.), Human development in the South Pacific: A book of readings (2nd ed.). Suva, Fiji: USP Extension Services.
- Basow, S. A. (1986). Correlates of sex-typing in Fiji. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 10, 429–442.
- Beere, C. A. (1990). Gender roles: A handbook of tests and measures. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Caballero, J. J. (1971). La juventud europea actual: Comparación de una encuesta española y de una encuesta italiana [The present day European youth: A comparison of an Italian and a Spanish survey]. Revista Española de la Opinion Publica, 24, 211–269.
- Canter, R. J., & Ageton, S. S. (1984). The epidemology of adolescent sex-role attitudes. Sex Roles, 11, 657–676.
- Díaz-Guerrero, R. (1967). Socio-cultural premises, attitudes and cross-cultural research. International Journal of Psychology, 2, 79–87.
- Díaz-Guerrero, R. (1972). Una escala factorial de premisas histórico-socioculturales de la familia Mexicana [A factorial scale of historic-sociocultural premises of the Mexican family]. Revista Interamericana de Psicología, 6, 235–244.
- Díaz-Guerrero, R. (1974). La mujer y las premisas histórico-socioculturales de la familia Mexicana [The woman and the historical sociocultural premises of the Mexican family]. Revista Latinoamericana de Psicología, 6, 7–16.
- Díaz-Guerrero, R. (1975). Psychology of the Mexican: Culture and personality. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Díaz-Guerrero, R. (1979). Sociocultura, personalidad en acción y la ciencia de la psicología [Socioculture, personality in action, and the science of psychology]. In G. E. Finley & G. Marín (Eds.) Avances en psicología contemporánea [Advances in Contemporary Psychology] Mexico City, Mexico: Trillas.
- Galambos, N. L., Petersen, A. C., Richards, M., & Gitelson, I. B. (1985). The Attitudes Toward Women Scale for Adolescents (AWSA): A study of reliability and validity. Sex Roles, 5/6, 343–356.
- Gibbons, J. L., Stiles, D. A., & Morton, C. (1990). Conceptions of the opposite-sex ideal by international students in the Netherlands. Journal of Social Psychology, 129, 859–861.
- Hofstede, G. H. (1980). Culture's consequences. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Hofstede, G. (1983). Dimensions of national cultures in fifty countries and three regions. In J. B. Deregowski, S. Dziurawiec, & R. C. Annis (Eds.) Expiscations in cross-cultural psychology. Lisse, Netherlands: Swets & Zeitlinger.
- Horn, J. L., McArdle, J., & Mason, R. (1983). When is invariance not invariant: A practical scientist's look at the ethereal concept of factor invariance? The Southern Psychologist, 1, 179–188.
- Intons-Peterson, M. J. (1988). Gender concepts of Swedish and American youth. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Kremer, J., & Curry, C. (1987). Attitudes toward women in Northern Ireland. Journal of Social Psychology, 127, 531–533.
- Lara-Cantú, M. A. (1989). A sex role inventory with scales for “Machismo” and “Self-sacrificing woman.” Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 20, 386–398.
- Loo, R., & Logan, P. (1977). Investigation of the Attitudes toward Women Scale in western Canada. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 9, 201–204
- Offer, D., Ostrov, E., Howard, K. I., & Atkinson, R. (1988). The teenage world: Adolescents' self-image in ten countries. New York: Plenum.
- Pérez-Prada, E., Shkodriani, G. M., Medina, J., Gibbons, J. L. & Stiles, D. A. (1990, May). Gender role attitudes of adolescents in Iceland, Spain, and the United States. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Pleck, J. H. (1981). The myth of masculinity. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Petersen, A. C. (1988). Adolescent development. Annual Review of Psychology, 39, 583–607.
- Schwartz, S. H. (in press). Universals in the content and structure of values: Theoretical advances and empirical tests in 20 countries. In M. Zanna (Ed.) Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 25). New York: Academic Press.
- Seginer, R., Karayanni, M., & Mar'i, M. M. (1990). Adolescents' attitudes toward women's roles: A comparison between Israeli Jews and Arabs. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 14, 119–133.
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. L. (1972). The Attitudes Toward Women Scale: An objective instrument to measure attitudes toward the rights and roles of women in contemporary society. Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 2, 66. (Ms. No. 153).
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R. L., & Stapp, J. (1973). A short version of the Attitudes toward Women Scale (AWS). Psychonomic Bulletin, 2, 219–220.
- Stanley, G., Boots, M., & Johnson, C. (1975). Some data on the short version of the Attitudes Toward Women Scale (AWS). Australian Psychologist, 10, 319–323.
- Triandis, H. C. (1990). Cross-cultural studies of individualism and collectivism. In J. W. Berry, J. G. Draguns, & M. Cole (Eds.) Cross-cultural perspectives: Nebraska Symposium on Motivation 1989. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
- Williams, J. E., & Best, D. L. (1982). Measuring sex stereotypes: A thirty nation study. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Adolescents' attitudes toward family and gender roles: An international comparison
Volume 25, Issue 11-12 , pp 625-643
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors