The effects of gender and response style on depressed mood
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Research has shown that gender differences in the rate of depression may be accounted for by different response styles. To examine whether response style affects mood, depressed mood was induced in 31 females and 33 males (all Caucasian) who were then randomly assigned to either a ruminating or a distracting response task. The findings supported the response style theory as the ruminating group remained depressed after the response task, while the distracting group became less depressed. Gender was not a factor in this experiment as both men and women reacted similarly to the mood induction and the experimental tasks. Although clinical implication cannot be determined from a study involving nondepressed subjects, it can be concluded that ruminating about one's depressed mood is not an effective method for overcoming depression.
- Boyd, J. H., & Weissman, M. M. (1981). Epidemiology of affective disorders: A re-examination and future direction. Archives of General Psychiatry, 38, 1039–1046.
- Morrow, J., & Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (1990). Effects of responses to depression on the remediation of depressive affect. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 58, 519–527. CrossRef
- Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (1987). Sex differences in unipolar depression: Evidence and theory. Psychological Bulletin, 101, 259–282. CrossRef
- Schwab, J. J., Bailow, M., & Holtzer, C. (1967). A comparison of two rating scales for depression. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 23, 94–96.
- Weissman, M. M., & Klerman, G. L. (1977). Sex differences in the epidemiology of depression. Archives of Psychiatry, 39, 98–111.
- Zuckerman, M., & Lubin, B. (1965). Manual for the multiple affect adjective check list. San Diego, CA: Educational and Industrial Testing Service.
- The effects of gender and response style on depressed mood
Volume 29, Issue 7-8 , pp 509-514
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors