Reliability, validity, and cross-cultural comparisons for the simplified attitudes toward women scale
- Margaret C. Nelson
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article investigates the use of the simplified version of the Attitudes Toward Women Scale with 278 American adults taken from the general population. Normative data and estimates of internal consistency reliability are reported, both for the overall sample and for selected subgroups. Females are found to have more liberal sex role attitudes than males, younger people to have more liberal attitudes than older people, and those of higher social status to have more liberal attitudes than those of lower status, supporting the construct validity of the scale. A cross-cultural comparison is also made between the scores of British and American women.
- Argentino, C. M., Kidd, A. H., & Bogart, K. The effects of experimenter's sex on the attitudes toward women of fraternity, sorority, and mixed-dormitory residents. Journal of Community Psychology, 1977, 5, 186–188.
- Brogan, D., & Kutner, N. G. Measuring sex-role orientation: A normative approach. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1976, 38, 31–40.
- Colker, R., & Widom, C. S. Correlates of female athletic participation: Masculinity, femininity, self-esteem and attitudes to women. Sex Roles, 1980, 6, 47–58.
- Daugherty, C. G., & Dambrot, F. H. Reliability of the Attitudes toward Women Scale. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1986, 46, 449–453.
- Dempewolff, J. A. Development and validation of a feminism scale. Psychological Reports, 1974, 34, 651–657.
- Follingstad, D. R., Kilmann, P. R., & Robinson, E. A. Prediction of self-actualization in male participants in a group conducted by female leaders. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 1976, 32, 706–712.
- Galambos, N. L., Petersen, A. C., Richards, M., & Gitelson, I. B. The attitudes toward women scale for adolescents (AWSA): A study of reliability and validity. Sex Roles, 1985, 13, 343–456.
- Ghaffaradli-Doty, P., & Carlson, E. R. Consistency in attitude and behavior of women with a liberated attitude toward the rights and roles of women. Sex Roles, 1979, 5, 395–404.
- Halas, C. M. Sex-role stereotypes: Perceived childhood socialization experiences and the attitudes and behavior of adult women. Journal of Psychology, 1974, 88, 261–275.
- Kalin, R., & Tilby, P. J. Development and validation of a sex-role ideology scale. Psychological Reports, 1978, 42, 731–738.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., & Smith, A. D. Validation of the Spence-Helmreich Attitudes towards Women Scale. Psychological Reports, 1974, 35, 461–462.
- Loo, R., & Logan, P. Investigation of the Attitude toward Women Scale in Western Canada. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 1977, 9, 201–204.
- Lunneborg, P. W. Validity of the Attitudes toward Women Scale. Psychological Reports, 1974, 34, 1281–1282.
- Parry, G. A British version of the Attitudes towards Women Scale (AWS-B). British Journal of Social Psychology, 1983, 22, 261–263.
- Redfering, D. L. Relationship between attitudes toward feminism and levels of dogmatism, achievement, and anxiety. Journal of Psychology, 1979, 101, 297–304.
- Scanzoni, J. Sex roles, economic factors, and marital solidarity in black and white marriages. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1975, 37, 130–144.
- Smith, R. L., & Bradley, D. W. In defense of the Attitude toward Women Scale: An affirmation of validity and reliability. Psychological Reports, 1980, 47, 511–522.
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. The Attitudes towards Women Scale: An objective instrument to measure attitudes towards the rights and roles of women in contemporary society. Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 1972, 2, 66–67.
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R., & Stapp, J. A short version of the Attitudes towards Women Scale (AWS). Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 1973, 2, 219–220.
- Stanley, G., Boots, M., & Johnson, C. Some Australian data on the short version of the Attitudes to Women Scale (AWS). Australian Psychologist, 1975, 10, 319–323.
- Stein, S. L., & Weston, L. C. Attitudes toward women among female college students. Sex Roles, 1976, 2, 199–202.
- Zeldow, P. B., & Greenberg, R. P. Attitudes toward women and orientation to seeking professional help. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 1979, 35, 473–476.
- Reliability, validity, and cross-cultural comparisons for the simplified attitudes toward women scale
Volume 18, Issue 5-6 , pp 289-296
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. State University of New York at Albany, USA