Sex differences in reasoning and emotion about altruism
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study examined sex differences in the resolution of prosocial dilemmas involving self-sacrifice. Women and men between 17 and 68 years of age were presented with hypothetical situations necessitating a choice between self and other, and asked to decide what they would choose to do. In addition, participants were asked why they made the choices they did and how they felt about them. Participants usually made the self-sacrificing choice, with no differences found between women and men in the distribution of self and other choices. Choices were justified on the basis of the respondents' own needs or those of the other person, conflict was minimized, or reasons were offered that involved stereotyped statements, interpersonal concerns, empathy, internalized affects and values, or a judgment about the capacity to help. Modes of reasoning differed somewhat between the sexes, with women using more empathic reasoning than men with other choces, and attributing their self choices more to minimal conflict and less to concern for the other's interests. There were also sex differences in participants' self-reported feelings about the choices they made. Specifically, there was evidence that women experienced more conflict than men about other choices and had more positive feelings than men did about their self choices. Several interpretations of these findings were discussed.
- Bakan, D. The duality of human existence: An essay on psychology and religion. Chicago: Rand MacNally, 1966.
- Belle, D. The stress of caring: Women as providers of social support. In L. Goldberger & S. Breznitz (Eds.), Handbook of stress: Theoretical and clinical aspects. New York: Free Press, 1982.
- Bem, D. J. Self-perception theory. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology, Vol. 6, New York: Academic Press, 1972.
- Bem, S. L. The measurement of psychological androgyny. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1974, 42, 155–162.
- Chodorow, N. The reproduction of mothering: Psychoanalysis and the sociology of gender. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1978.
- Cohen, J. A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1960, 20, 37–46.
- Deaux, K. From individual differences to social categories: Analysis of a decade's research on gender. American Psychologist, 1984, 39, 105–116.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. The empirical exploration of intrinsic motivational processes. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology, Vol. 13. New York: Academic Press, 1980.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. Intrinsic motivation and self-discrimination in human behavior. New York: Plenum, 1985.
- Eagly, A. H., & Crowley, M. Gender and helping behavior: A meta-analytic review of the social psychological literature. Psychological Bulletin, 1986, 100, 283–308.
- Eagly, A. H., & Steffen, V. J. Gender stereotypes stem from the distribution of women and men into social roles. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1984, 46, 735–754.
- Ehrenreich, B., & English, D. For her own good: 150 years of the experts' advice to women. London: Pluto Press, 1979.
- Eisenberg, N. Altruistic emotion, cognition, and behavior. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1986.
- Eisenberg, N., & Lennon, R. Sex differences in empathy and related capacities. Psychological Bulletin, 1983, 94, 100–131.
- Eisenberg, N., Shell, R., Pasternack, J., Lennon, R., Beller, R., & Mathy, R. M. Prosocial development in middle childhood: A longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 1987, 23, 712–718.
- Eisenberg-Berg, N. The development of children's prosocial moral judgment. Developmental Psychology, 1979, 15, 128–137.
- Feshbach, N. D. Sex differences in empathy and social behavior in children. In N. Eisenberg (Eds.), The development of prosocial behavior. New York: Academic Press, 1982.
- Friedman, W. J., Robinson, A. B., & Friedman, B. L. Sex differences in moral judgments? A test of Gilligan's theory. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 1987, 11, 37–46.
- Gilligan, C. In a different voice: Psychological theory and women's development. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1982.
- Gilligan, C., & Attanucci, J. Two moral orientations: Gender differences and similarities. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 1988, 34, 223–237.
- Graham, H. Caring: A labor of love. In J. Finch & D. Groves (Eds.), A labour of love: Women, work and caring. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1983.
- Grusec, J. E. The socialization of self-sacrifice in boys and girls. Paper presented at the XXIst Committee on Family Research Conference of the International Sociological Association, Jerusalem, June 1986.
- Hoffman, M. L. Sex differences in empathy and related behaviors. Psychological Bulletin, 1977, 84, 712–720.
- Kelley, H. H. Causal schemata and the attribution process. In E. Jones, D. Kanouse, H. H. Kelley, R. E. Nisbett, S. Valins, & B. Weiner (Eds.), Attribution: Perceiving the causes of behavior. Morristown, NJ: General Learning, 1971.
- Landis, J. R., & Koch, G. G. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics, 1977, 33, 159–174.
- Lickona, T. Moral development and moral education: Piaget, Kohlberg and beyond. In Gallagher, J. M. & Easley, J. A. Jr. (eds.), Knowledge and development, Vol. 2 New York: Plenum Press, 1978.
- Lonky, E., & Roodin, P. A. Moral judgments of self vs. other and sex role orientation. Paper presented at the biennial meetings of the Society for Research in Child Development, Baltimore, MD, April 1987.
- Lyons, N. P. Two perspectives: On self, relationships, and morality. Harvard Educational Review, 1983, 53, 125–145.
- Miller, J. B. Toward a new psychology of women. Boston: Beacon Press, 1976.
- Parsons, T. Family structure and socialization of the child. In T. Parsons & R. F. Bales (Eds.), Family: Socialization and interaction process. Glencoe, ILL: Free Press, 1955.
- Piliavin, J. A., & Unger, R. K. The helpful but helpless female: Myth or reality? In V. E. O'Leary, R. Unger, & B. S. Wallston (Eds.), Women, gender, and social psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1985.
- Pratt, M. W. Sex differences in moral orientation in personal and hypothetical dilemmas? Don't forget those old outcasts of content and process. In C. Blake (Chair), Gender difference research in moral development. Sympoisum held at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Los Angeles, CA, August 1985.
- Pratt, M. W., & Royer, J. M. When rights and responsibilities don't mix: Sex and sex-role patterns in moral judgment orientation. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 1982, 14, 190–204.
- Pratt, M. W., Golding, G., & Hunter, W. J. Does morality have a gender? Sex, sex role, and moral judgment relationships across the adult lifespan. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 1984, 30, 321–348.
- Rosenthal, R., & Rosnow, R. L. Contrast analysis: Focused comparisons in the analysis of variance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1985.
- Rybash, J. M., Roodin, P. A., & Lonky, E. Young adults' scores on the Defining Issues Test as a function of a “self” versus “other” presentation mode. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 1981, 10, 25–31.
- Shigetomi, C. C., Hartmann, D. P., & Gelfand, D. M. Sex differences in children's altruistic behavior and reputation for helpfulness. Developmental Psychology, 1981, 17, 434–437.
- Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. L. Masculinity & femininity: Their psychological dimensions, correlates, & antecedents. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1978.
- Stockard, J., van de Kragt, A. J. C., & Dodge, P. J. Gender roles and behavior in social dilemmas: Are there sex differences in cooperation and in its justification? Social Psychology Quarterly, 1988, 51, 154–163.
- Tetlock, P. E., & Manstead, A. S. R. Impression management versus intrapsychic explanations in social psychology: A useful dichotomy? Psychological Review, 1985, 92, 59–77.
- Walker, L. J. A longitudinal study of moral reasoning. Child Development, 1989, 60, 157–166.
- Walker, L. J., de Vries, B., & Trevethan, S. D. Moral stages and moral orientations in real-life and hypothetical dilemmas. Child Development, 1987, 58, 842–858.
- Yussen, S. R. Characteristics of moral dilemmas written by adolescents. Developmental Psychology, 1977, 13, 162–163.
- Zarbatany, L., Hartmann, D. P., Gelfand, D. M., & Vinciguerra, P. Gender differences in altruistic reputation: Are they artifactual? Developmental Psychology, 1985, 21, 97–101.
- Sex differences in reasoning and emotion about altruism
Volume 20, Issue 11-12 , pp 603-621
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors