The effect of first names on perceptions of female attractiveness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of a female's first name on subsequent judgments of her attractiveness was investigated via a Latin square design. The results indicated that the impact of a desirable or undesirable first name on attractiveness is minimal—less than 1% of the explained variance. These results appear to be a consistent extension of earlier findings on the impact of first names.
- Berscheid, E., & Walster, E. Physical attractiveness. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology. New York: Academic Press, 1974.
- Busse, T. V., & Love, C. The effect of first names on conflicted decisions: An experimental study. Journal of Psychology 1973, 84 253–256.
- Busse, T. V., & Seraydarian, L. The relationship between first name desirability and school readiness, IQ, and school achievement. Psychology in the Schools 1978, 15 297–302.
- Busse, T. V., & Seraydarian, L. First names and popularity in grade school children, Psychology in the Schools 1979, 16 149–154.
- Garwood, S. G., Cox, L., Kaplan, V., Wasserman, N., & Sulzer, J. L. Beauty is only “Name” deep: The effect of first-name on ratings of physical attraction. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 1980, 10 431–435.
- Hays, W. L. Statistics for psychologists. New York: Holt, 1963.
- Infante, D. A., Pierce, L. L., Rancer, A. S., & Osborne, W. J. Effects of physical attractiveness and likeableness of first name on impressions formed of journalists. Journal of Applied Communications Research 1980, 8 1–9.
- Rickel, A. U., & Anderson, L. R. Name ambiguity and androgyny. Sex Roles 1981, 7 1057–1066.
- Seraydarian, L., & Busse, T. V. First-name stereotypes and essay grading. Journal of Psychology 1981, 108 253–257.
- Segall, M., & Michela, J. I'll bet you say that to all the girls: Physical attractiveness and reactions to praise. Journal of Personality 1976, 44 611–626.
- The effect of first names on perceptions of female attractiveness
Volume 12, Issue 7-8 , pp 723-729
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors