Children's stereotypes about sex differences in emotionality
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In spite of the egalitarian atmosphere of recent years, contemporary preschool children possess pronounced stereotypes about sex differences in emotionality. They associate anger with maleness, but associate happiness, sadness, and fear with femaleness. These stereotypes are similar to those held by adults, but are largely dissimilar to actual sex differences in emotionality. The impact and possible etiology of these stereotypes are discussed.
- Allen, J. G., Haccoun, D. M. (1976) Sex differences in emotionality: A multidimensional approach. Human Relations 29: pp. 711-722
- Bernard, J. Sex differences: An overview. In: Kaplan, A. G., Bean, J. P. eds. (1976) Beyond sex-role stereotypes: Readings toward a psychology of androgyny. Little, Brown, Boston
- Black, H. (1969) Race and sex factors influencing the correct and erroneous perception of emotion. Proceedings of the 77th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association 4: pp. 363-364
- Condry, J., Condry, S. (1976) Sex differences: A study of the eye of the beholder. Child Development 47: pp. 812-819
- Czaplinski, S. M. (1972) Sexism in award winning picture books. KNOW, Pittsburgh
- Gates, G. S. (1923) An experimental study of the growth of social perception. Journal of Educational Psychology 14: pp. 449-462
- Maccoby, E. E., Jacklin, C. N. (1974) The psychology of sex differences. Stanford University Press, Stanford, Calif.
- Rabban, M. (1950) Sex role identification in young children in two diverse social groups. Genetic Psychology Monographs 43: pp. 81-158
- Rosenkrantz, P. S., Vogel, S., Bee, H., Broverman, I., Broverman, D. M. (1968) Sex-role stereotypes and self-concepts in college students. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 32: pp. 287-295
- Rubin, J. Z., Provenzano, F. J., Luria, Z. (1974) The eye of the beholder: Parents' views on sex of newborns. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 44: pp. 512-519
- Staffieri, J. R., Bassett, J. E. (1970) Birth order and perception of facial expressions. Perceptual and Motor Skills 30: pp. 606
- Tiger, L. The possible biological origins of sexual discrimination. In: Epstein, C. F., Goode, W. J. eds. (1971) The other half: Roads to women's equality. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Wright, J. Witness disqualified, says judge. Ms., March 1977, 5(9), 22.
- Children's stereotypes about sex differences in emotionality
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 435-443
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors