Social factors of migration from rural to urban areas with special reference to developing countries: The case of Korea
- Hyung-Kook Kim
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The current state of Korean internal migration in 1961–75 is examined from three perspectives: (1) where migrants go; (2) who moves; and (3) why they move. It is followed by a closer examination of the experiences that in-migrants to Seoul, the capital city of Korea, undergo in regard to (1) decision-making of migration; (2) job mobility; (3) settlement patterns; and (4) living conditions of squatters. Evaluation of the migration policies named in the Seoul population dispersal and relocation plans leads to a conclusion that they have little concern with the welfare of the urban poor and in-migrants to Seoul.
- Barringer, H. R.: 1974, ‘Rural-urban migration and social mobility: Studies of three Korean cities’, paper presented at the ILCORK Conference on ‘Population Growth and Its Societal Impact’, Korea, February 21–4.
- Brandt, Vincent S. R.: 1973, ‘Young migrants to Seoul: Dimensions of complexity’, at Panel on Migration in Korea Association for Asian Studies (mimeo.)
- Breese, Jerald (1968) Urbanization in Newly Developing Countries. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Cho, Lee-Jay: 1973, ‘The demographic situation in the Republic of Korea’, Papers of the East-West Population Institute, Honolulu, No. 29.
- Findley, Sally (1977) Planning for Internal Migration: A Review of Issues and Policies in Developing Countries. U. S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Friedmann, John (1973) Urbanization, Planning and National Development. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills
- Friedmann, John, Sullivan, Flora The absorption of labor in the urban economy: The case of developing countries. In: Friedmann, J., Alonso, W. eds. (1975) Regional Policy. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Kim, Dae-Young (1976) Characteristics of Internal Migration: The Case of Korea in 1965–70. Korea Development Institute (Korean text), Seoul
- Kim, Hyung-Kook: 1976, ‘A model study on urban employment hierarchy with policy recommendations for dispersing population from the Seoul metropolitant region’, Korean Journal of Environmental Studies 3, no. 1 (Korean text).
- Kwon, E-Hyuk et al.: 1967, A Study on Subsistence Income Groups in Seoul (College of Medicine, Seoul National University (Korean text).
- Kwon, Tai-Joon: 1972, ‘The future development stages for Seoul’, D. Dwyer (ed.), The City as a Center of Change in Asia (Hong Kong Univ. Press).
- Lee, Hahn-Soon: 1973, ‘Population redistribution and inter-provincial migration’, Urban Affaris 8, No. 10 (Korean text).
- Lee, Ki-Suk (1977) A Social Geography of Greater Seoul. Po Chin Chai Co., Seoul
- Lim, Hee-Sup: 1976, ‘Mental structures leading to population concentration in Seoul’, Korean Society for Demography, Population Concentration in Seoul: Seminar Proceedings, Seoul.
- Nelson, Joan The urban poor: Disruption of political integration in Third World Cities?. In: Friedmann, J., Alonso, W. eds. (1973) Regional Policy. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Oscarsson G. and S. Öberg: 1977, ‘Regional policy and inter-regional migration-matching jobs and individuals on local labor market’, Univ. of Gothenburg (mimeo.).
- Richardson, H.: 1972, ‘Optimality in city size, systems of cities and urban policy: A sceptic view’, Urban Studies 9, No. 1.
- Shaw, R. P. (1975) Migration Theory and Fact: A Review and Bibliography of Current Literature. Regional Science Research Institute, Philadelphia
- Sundquist, James (1975) Dispersing Population. Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
- Thompson, W.: 1972, ‘The national systems and cities as an object of public policy’, Urban Studies 9, No. 1.
- Yoon, Jong-Ju (1970) Findings from A Survey on Fertility and In-migration of Seoul. Seoul Women's College, Seoul
- Yoon, Jong-Ju: 1976, ‘The population concentration of Seoul: Its characteristics and prospects’, A seminar proceeding by Korean society for Demography (Seoul, Korean text).
- Yu, Eui-Young Internal migration and urbanization. In: Lee, H., Kwon, T. eds. (1978) Korean Society: Population and Development. Population and Development Research Institute (Korean text), Seoul
- Economic Planning Board: 1966, 1970, and 1975 Population and Housing Census.
- First Ministry Without Portfolio: The Seoul Population Dispersal Plan, 1976.
- Korea Development Institute: A Perspective Plan of Socio-Economic Development: 1977–91, 1976.
- Seoul Municipal Government: Seoul Statistical Yearbook.
- Social factors of migration from rural to urban areas with special reference to developing countries: The case of Korea
Social Indicators Research
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 29-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Hyung-Kook Kim (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea