Effect of genetically modified Pseudomonas fluorescens introduced into soil contaminated with copper (II) on microbial community diversity in the soil and rhizosphere
- J. Kozdrój
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
When genetically altered strains of Pseudomonas fluorescens were introduced into soil contaminated with copper in a laboratory study, they did not affect the phenotypic diversity (eco-physiological index) of indigenous microflora in the rhizosphere and bulk soil. Soil contamination with copper also did not cause shifts in the distribution of bacterial classes within the total community of heterotrophic or Gram-negative bacteria.
- Atlas, R.M., Horowitz, A., Krichevsky, M. & Bej, A.K. 1991 Response of microbial populations to environmental disturbance. Microbial Ecology 22, 249–256.
- Bej, A.K., Perlin, M.H. & Atlas, R.M. 1991 Effect of introducing genetically engineered microorganisms on soil microbial community diversity. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 86, 169–176.
- DeLeij, F.A.A.M., Whipps, J.M. & Lynch, J.M. 1993 The use of colony development for the characterization of bacterial communities in soil and on roots. Microbial Ecology 27, 81–97.
- DeRore, H., Top, E., Houwen, F., Mergeay, M. & Verstraete, W. 1994 Evolution of heavy metal resistant transconjugants in a soil environment with a concomitant selective pressure. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 14, 263–274.
- Friedrickson, J.K., BoltonJr, M. & Stotzky, G. 1991 Methods for evaluating the effects of microorganisms on biogeochemical cycling. In Microbial Ecology, eds Levin, M.A., Seidler, R.J. & Rogul, M. pp. 579–606. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Hattori, T. 1983 Kinetics of colony formation of bacteria. An approach to the basis of the plate count method. Report of the Institute of Agricultural Research, Tohoku University 34, 1–36.
- Kozdrój, J. 1994 Effect of copper (II) on survival of Pseudomonas fluorescens and transfer of plasmid RP4 in soil. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 10, 175–177.
- Leung, K., England, L.S., Cassidy, M.B., Trevors, J.T. & Weir, S. 1994 Microbial diversity in soil: effect of releasing genetically engineered microorganisms. Molecular Ecology 3, 413–422.
- VanElsas, J.D. & Trevors, J.T. 1991 Environmental risks and fate of genetically engineered microorganisms in soil. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, A 26, 981–1001.
- White, D., Crosbie, J.D., Atkinson, D. & Killham, K. 1994 Effect of an introduced inoculum on soil microbial diversity. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 14, 169–178.
- Effect of genetically modified Pseudomonas fluorescens introduced into soil contaminated with copper (II) on microbial community diversity in the soil and rhizosphere
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 546-548
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Community diversity
- Industry Sectors
- J. Kozdrój (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, University of Silesia, Jagiellońska 28, 40-032, Katowice, Poland