Chromosome number in the lizard genus Uta (family Iguanidae)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A chromosome number of 34 (12 macro- and 22 microchromosomes) was found to be characteristic of the bone marrow in 47 animals including males from the species Uta antiquus, and both males and females from the following species and subspecies: Uta stansburiana stansburiana, Uta stansburiana stejnegeri, Uta stansburiana elegans, Uta stansburiana klauberi, Uta stansburiana mannophorus, Uta nolascensis, Uta palmeri, and Uta squamata. — Diploid chromosome numbers of 34 and haploid numbers of 17 were found in the nine testis smears examined. — The presence of a large number of hypodiploid figures in the bone marrow smears is attributed to cell fragmentation and the problem of distinguishing the small microchromosomes. — Series of polyploid figures whose chromosome numbers increased in arithmetic rather than geometric progressions were observed in the testis dry smears. Possible alternatives for the origin of these figures are presented. — Problems encountered in the use of chromosome number as a taxonomic character are discussed.
- Ballinger, R., and D. W. Tinkle: The systematics and evolution of the lizard genus Uta. 1968 (in manuscript).
- Dulbecco, R., and M. Vogt: Plaque formation and isolation of pure lines with poliomyelitis viruses. J. exp. Med. 99, 167–187 (1954).
- Genest, P., and C. Auger: Observations on the technique for the study of human chromosomes by the culture of leukocytes from peripheral blood. Canad. med. Ass. J. 88, 302–307 (1963).
- Hall, W. P., III: Preliminary chromosome studies of some Nevada Test Site lizards. 1965 (Paper delivered at the 45th annual meeting of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists in Lawrence, Kansas).
- Painter, T. S.: Studies in reptilian spermatogenesis. I. The spermatogenesis of lizards. J. exp. Zool. 34, 281–327 (1921).
- Sasaki, M., and S. Makino: The meiotic chromosomes of man. Chromosoma (Berl.) 16, 637–651 (1965).
- Chromosome number in the lizard genus Uta (family Iguanidae)
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 467-476
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Medical Genetics, Department of Biology, The University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, Texas
- 2. Museum of Zoology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan