Regional estimates of acid mine drainage impact on streams in the mid-atlantic and Southeastern United States
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conducted the National Stream Survey (NSS) to provide unbiased estimates of the numbers and distribution of acidic and low acid neutralizing capacity streams in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern United States. The NSS employed a probability sample of 500 stream reaches to represent a target population of 64,300 stream reaches in the study area. All NSS samples were screened for acid mine drainage (AMD) influences, and population estimates of the regional extent of AMD impacts were made. Almost 10% of the stream reaches in the Northern Appalachians subregion were acidic during spring baseflow due to AMD. In the entire NSS, an estimated 4590 km (± 1670) of streams (2% of the total NSS length) were acidic due to AMD and another 5780 km (± 2090) of streams were strongly impacted, but not acidic. In subregions of the NSS with observed mine drainage effects, roughly the same number of streams were acidic during spring baseflow due to AMD as due to acidic deposition. The population estimates of mine drainage impact made in the NSS were similar to estimates made in previous surveys that attempted to census all of the streams in coal producing areas. These results demonstrate that a statistically based stream survey is a useful tool for evaluating regional water quality.
- Appalachian Regional Commission: 1969, Acid Mine Drainage in Appalachia, Appalachian Regional Commission Report, Washington D.C.
- Baker, J. P. and Schofield, C. L.: 1982, Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 18, 289.
- Barnes, H. L. and Romberger, S. B.: 1968, Water Pollut. Control Fed. J. 40, 371.
- Bencala, K. E., McKnight, D. M., and Zellweger, G. W.: 1987, Water Resour. Res. 23, 827.
- Biesecker, J. E. and George, J. R.: 1966, Stream Quality in Appalachia as Related to Coal-mine Drainage, 1965, U.S. Geological Survey Circular 526, Washington D.C.
- Campbell, D. H. and Turk, J. T.: 1988, Water Resour. Res. 24, 871.
- Cougan, K. A., Sutton, D. W., Peck, D. V., Miller, V. J., and Pollard, J. E.: 1988, National Stream Survey — Phase I: Quality Assurance Report, EPA/600/4-88/018, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Driscoll, C. T., Baker, J. P., Bisogni, J. J., and Schofield, C. L.: 1980, Nature 284, 161.
- Dugan, P. R.: 1985, Biochemical Ecology of Water Pollution, Plenum Press, New York.
- Dyer, K. L.: 1982a, Stream Water Quality in the Coal Region of Tennessee, U.S. Dept. Agric. Forest Service Tech. Rep. NE-77, Berea, KY.
- Dyer, K. L.: 1982b, Stream Water Quality in the Coal Region of Pennsylvania, U.S. Dept. Agric. Forest Service Tech. Rep. NE-76, Berea, KY.
- Dyer, K. L.: 1982c, Stream Water Quality in the Coal Region of West Virginia and Maryland, U.S. Dept. Agric. Forest Service Tech. Rep. NE-70, Berea, KY.
- Federal Water Pollution Control Administration: 1969, Stream Pollution by Coal Mine Drainage in Appalachia, U.S. Dept. Interior, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Helsel, D. R.: 1983, Water Resource. Bull. 19, 881.
- Herb, W. J., Shaw, L. C., and Brown, D. E.: 1981, U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations 81–538.
- Hillman, D. C., Pia, S. L., and Simon, S. J.: 1987, National Surface Water Survey: National Stream Survey Analytical Methods Manual, EPA/600/8-87/005, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C.
- Kaufmann, P. R., Herlihy, A. T., Elwood, J. W., Mitch, M. E., Overton, W. S., Sale, M. J., Messer, J. J., Cougan, K. A., Peck, D. V., Reckhow, K. H., Kinney, A. J., Christie, S. J., Brown,D. D., Hagley, C. A., and Jager, H. I.: 1988, Chemical Characteristics of Streams in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern United States. Volume I. Population Descriptions and Physico-chemical Relationships, EPA/600/3-88/021a, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.
- Kim, A. G., Heisey, B. S., Kleinmann, R. L. P., and Deul, M.: 1982, Acid Mine Drainage: Control and Abatement Research, U.S. Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8905, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Kinney, E. C.: 1964, Extent of Acid Mine Pollution in the United States Affecting Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Dept. Interior, Fish and Wildlife Circular 191, Washington, D.C.
- Kleinmann, R. L. P., Jones, J. R., and Erickson, P. M.: 1988, An Assessment of the Coal Mine Drainage Problem, Proceedings of the 10th annual Conf. of the Assoc. Abandoned Mine Land Programs, Wilkes-Barre, PA.
- Mills, A. L.: 1985, in D. Klein and R. L. Tate (eds.), Soil Reclamation Processes, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 35–81.
- Omernik, J. M. and Powers, C. F.: 1983, Annals Assoc. Amer. Geographers 73, 133.
- Overton, W. S.: 1986, A Sampling Plan for Streams in the National Stream Survey, Technical Report 114, Department of Statistics Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Powell, J. D.: 1988, Environ. Geol. Water Sci. 11, 141.
- Sale, M. J., Kaufmann, P. R., Jager, H. I., Coe, J. M., Cougan, K. A., Kinney, A. J., Mitch, M. E., and Overton, W. S.: 1988, Chemical Characteristics of Streams in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern United States. Volume II: Streams Sampled, Descriptive Statistics, and Compendium of Physical and Chemical Data, EPA/600/3-88/021b, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C.
- Schindler, D. W.: 1988, Science 239, 149.
- Sharpe, W. E., DeWalle, D. R., Leibfried, R. T., Dincola, R. S., Kimmel, W. G., and Sherwin, L. S.: 1984, J. Environ. Qual. 13, 619.
- Stumm, W., and Morgan, J. J.: 1970, Aquatic Chemistry, Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- U.S. Code of Federal Regulations: 1985, Title 40 Protection of the Environment, Chapter 1 Part 434, Subpart C, Section 434.32, p. 245.
- U.S. Geological Survey: 1967, in The National Atlas of the United States of America, U.S. Geological Survey, Washington D.C., pp. 186–187.
- Regional estimates of acid mine drainage impact on streams in the mid-atlantic and Southeastern United States
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 50, Issue 1-2 , pp 91-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors