Increasing contributions of nitrogen to the acidity of surface waters in Norway
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The acidification of lakes in southern Norway is largely due to sulfate. Recent data from regional surveys of lakes and from monitoring stations indicates that nitrate concentrations have increased in many lakes and rivers in southernmost Norway. The ratio of NO3 to NO3 + SO4 is still low for most areas, but is 0.54 on an equivalent basis in lakes and rivers in the area of high runoff in southwestern Norway. Here, concentrations of nitrate in the runoff are lower than for sites in Central Europe, but are higher than those in North America. The sites showing increases in NO3 also increased in Al. Further increases in nitrate as a mobile anion which may be due to decreased uptake in the watershed, will contribute to acidification in the same manner as sulfate.
- Brakke, D. F., Landers, D. M., and Eilers, J. M.: 1988,Environ. Sci. Technol. 22, 155.
- Dillon, P. J., Reid, R. A., and Girard, G.: 1986,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 31, 59.
- Dillon P. J. and Scheider, W. A.: 1984, in J. L. Schnoor (ed.),Modelling of Total Acid Precipitation Impacts, Buttenworth Publishers, Ann Arbor, p. 121.
- Driscoll, C. T. and Newton, R. M.: 1985,Environ. Sci. Technol. 19, 1018.
- Driscoll, C. T. and Schafran, G. C.: 1984,Nature 310, 308.
- Eilers, J. M., Brakke, D. F., and Landers, D. H.: 1988a,Environ. Sci. Technol. 22, 164.
- Eilers, J. M., Landers, D. H., and Brakke, D. F.: 1988b,Environ. Sci. Technol. 22, 172.
- Fott, L, Stucklik, E., and Stucklikovä, Z.: 1987, in B. Moldan and T. Paces (eds.),Geomon, International Workshop on Geochemistry and Monitoring in Representative Basins, Extended Abstracts, Prague 1987, p. 77.
- Hauhs, M.: 1986,Geoderma 38, 97.
- Henriksen, A.: 1987, ‘Freshwater Acidification in Norway — a “Direct Response” Process?’ inAcidification and Water Pathways, the Norwegian National Committe for Hydrology in cooperation with Unesco and WMO, the HIP National Committees of Denmark, Finland and Sweden, Bolkesjo 4–8 May, 1987. Vol. II, p. 187, Oslo 3, Norway.
- Henriksen, A., Lien, L., Traaen, T. S., Sevaldrud, I. S., and Brakke, D. F.: 1988a,Ambio 17, 259.
- Henriksen, A., Brakke, D. F., and Norton, S. A.: 1988b,Environ. Sci. Technol. (in press.).
- Hornstrøm, E. and Ekstrøm, C.: 1966,Acidification and Liming Effects on Phyto- and Zooplankton in Some Swedish West Coast Lakes, SNV Report 1864, 110 pp.
- Jacks, G. and Paces, T.: 1987, ‘Chemical Changes in Acid Runoff Along its Pathway through Granitic Minicatchments in Stormyra basin, Sweden’, in B. Moldan and T. Pačes (eds.),Geomon, International Workshop on Geochemistry and Monitoring in Representative Basins, Extended Abstracts, Prague 1987, p. 65.
- Jehlička, I.: 1987, Characteristics of Two Small Basins in the Sumava Mts', in B. Moldan and T. Pačes (eds.).Geomon, International Workshop on Geochemistry and Monitoring in Representative Basins, Extended Abstracts, Prague 1987, p. 207.
- Reuss, J., Cosby, B. J., and Wright, R. F.: 1987.Nature 329, 27.
- State Pollution Control Authority (SFT): 1987a,Monitoring of Long Range Transported Air Pollutants and Acid Precipitation, Annual Report 1986, Rapp. 296/87 (in Norwegian, English summary) Oslo.
- State Pollution Control Authority (SFT): 1987b,1000 Lake Survey 1986, Report 283/87, Oslo, Norway.
- Stucklik, E., Stuckliková, Z., Fott, J., Ruvzička, L., and Vrba, J.: 1985,Treatises Concerning the Tatra National Park 26, pp. 173–212 (in Tchec. with English summary).
- Wright, R. F.: 1987,Rain project. Annual Report for 1986, Acid Rain Res. Rept. 13/87 (Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Oslo), 90 pp.
- Wright, R. F. and Henriksen, A.: 1980,Regional Survey of Lakes and Streams in Southwestern Scotland, April 1979, SNSF-project, Oslo, Norway, Report IR 72/80.
- Increasing contributions of nitrogen to the acidity of surface waters in Norway
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 42, Issue 1-2 , pp 183-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors