Ion leaching from a sugar maple forest in response to acidic deposition and nitrification
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Year-to-year variation in acidic deposition within a mature sugar maple-dominated forest and in leaching of ions from the associated podzolic soil were examined at the Turkey Lakes Watershed between 1981 and 1986. Below-canopy inputs to the soil of SO4 2− and NO3 − in throughfall averaged 640 and 295 eq. ha−1 yr−1; the corresponding ranges were 493–917 and 261–443 eq. ha−1 yr−1. The contribution of atmospheric deposition to SO4 2− NO3 − and Ca2+ leaching decreased over the six years. During the study period, the mean annual volume-weighted NO3 − concentration decreased in throughfall and forest-floor percolate and increased in the mineral-soil solution collected below the effective rooting zone. A substantial shift in the balance between SO4 2− and NO3 −leaching from the mineral soil was observed; leaching of SO4 2−decreased and NO3 − leaching increased with time. Leaching of Ca2+ and Mg2+ from the soil was increased as a result of excess NO3 − production in the soil. The calculated output of NO3 − from the soil, which averaged 1505 eq. ha−1 yr−1, considerably exceeded the atmospheric deposition of NO3 −, whereas SO4 2− outputs were only moderately greater than inputs.
- Cole, D.W. and Rapp, M.: 1981, “Elemental cycling in forest ecosystems”, in Reichle, D.E. (Ed.) Dynamic properties of forest ecosystems, Cambridge University Press, pp. 341–409.
- Dillon, P.J., Lusis, M., Reid, R. and Yap, D.: 1988, Atmospher Environ. 22, 901.
- Federer, C.A.: 1983, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J.47, 1008.
- Foster, N.W.: 1985, For. Ecol. Manage. 12, 215.
- Foster, N.W. and Nicolson, J.A. 1988, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45 (Suppl. 1), 96.
- Foster, N.W., Morrison, I.K. and Nicolson, J.A.: 1986, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 31, 879.
- Foster, N.W., Nicolson, J.A. and Hazlett, P.W.: 1989, J. Environ. Qual. 18, 238.
- Johnson, D.W. and Reuss, J.O.: 1984, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B305, 383.
- Johnson, D.W., Turner, J. and Kelly, J.M.: 1982, Water Res. Research 18, 449.
- Johnson, D.W., Richter, D.D., Van Miegroet, H. and Cole, D.W.: 1983 J. Air. Pollut. Control. Assoc. 33, 1036.
- Johnson, D.W., Richter, D.D., Lovett, G.M. and Lindberg, S.E.: 1985, Can. J. For. Res. 15, 773.
- Mladenoff, D.J.: 1987, Ecology68, 1171.
- Nodvin, S.C., Driscoll, C.T. and Likens, G.E.: 1988, Biogeochemistry 5, 185.
- Rehfuess, K.E.: 1987, Forestry60, 1.
- Reuss, J.O., Cosby, B.J. and Wright, R.F.: 1987, Nature 329, 27.
- Thornthwaite, C.W. and Mather, J.R.: 1957, Climatology 3, 185.
- Ulrich, B., Benecke, P , Harris, W.F., Khanna, R K. and Mayer, R.: 1981, “Soil processes”, in Reichle, D.E. (ed.) Dynamic properties of forest ecosystems, Cambridge University Press, pp. 265–339.
- Van Breemen, N., Mulder, J. and Driscoll, C.T.: 1983, Plant Soil 75, 283.
- Vitousek, P.M., Gosz, J.R., Grier, C.C., Melillo, J.M. and Reiners, W.A.: 1982, Ecol. Monogr. 52, 155.
- Wright, R.F., Giessing, E., Christophersen, N., Lotse, E., Seip, H.M., Semb., A., Sletaune, B., Storbaug, R. and Wedun, K.: 1986, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 30, 47.
- Zak, D.R., Pregitzer, K.S. and Host, G.E.: 1986, Can. J. For. Res. 16, 1258.
- Ion leaching from a sugar maple forest in response to acidic deposition and nitrification
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 48, Issue 1-2 , pp 251-261
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors